Quick Hits: Men's basketball lands Cornell grad transfer, Springer named AL Player of the Week

New UConn forward David Onuorah during a game at Cornell. (Credit/Cornell Athletics)

Another addition to the UConn men’s basketball roster, which came Tuesday night, leads the week in UConn athletics news.

Cornell graduate transfer David Onuorah commits to UConn men’s basketball

David Onuorah, who just graduated from Cornell this spring, will play for the UConn men’s basketball team in the fall as a fifth-year senior. Onuorah will follow in the footsteps of Shonn Miller, who came to Storrs two years ago from Cornell to use his fifth year of eligibility.

The 6-foot-9, 230-pound forward will join a depleted frontcourt for the Huskies after playing just one game for Cornell last year, which eventually became his redshirt season. The season before that, Onuorah averaged 25.5 minutes per game, scoring 5.0 points and grabbing 6.8 rebounds.

Head coach Kevin Ollie now has 11 players on the roster to work with entering the 2017-18 season after adding Onuorah and Antwoine Anderson as graduate transfers and Eric Cobb as a JUCO transfer. Onuorah finds himself in a wide-open competition for minutes at the power forward spot after the departures of Kentan Facey and Juwan Durham from last year’s team.

George Springer named American League Player of the Week

UConn graduate George Springer of the Houston Astros earned AL Player of the Week honors Monday after a dominant week that helped put Houston on pace to challenge the all-time MLB record for wins in a season.

Springer went 15-for-30 over the week of May 29 to June 4, hitting five home runs and knocking in nine RBIs while scoring 11 runs of his own. He compiled a 1.565 OPS to power the Astros to a 10-game winning streak when the award was announced, and they extended that streak to 11 before it came to an end Tuesday night with a 9-7 loss to Kansas City. Houston sits atop the AL West with a 42-17 record.

Recruiting target Tremont Waters picks LSU

Four-star point guard Tremont Waters, an incoming freshman from West Haven, signed with LSU Monday. Waters picked the Tigers over Georgetown and UConn, among others, after asking for a release from Georgetown this spring.

The Huskies were in the hunt for Waters’ services.

Jalen Adams changes jersey number

Rising junior Jalen Adams broke news himself Friday, posting on various social media accounts that he would be changing his jersey number from No. 2 to No. 4 going forward. Ben Gordon is among former Huskies that have rocked the No. 4 jersey, and the most recent is Sterling Gibbs.

Tyler Keating is the sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering men’s basketball. He can be reached via email at tyler.keating@uconn.edu. He tweets @tylerskeating.