Bus service will link Storrs, Hartford starting Aug. 13

The transportation department shows off the new buses on Fairfield Way. The new bus service will make several stops around the Storrs campus, including at Whitney Hall and Storrs Center along Route 195. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

On Aug. 13, CTtransit bus service will extend to the University of Connecticut’s Storrs campus and link riders via public transit to locations such as UConn’s downtown Hartford campus.

Gov. Dannel P. Malloy and Connecticut Department of Transportation (CTDOT) commissioner James P. Redeker announced the route expansion on Aug. 10.

According to a press release, the CTtransit bus route that currently includes stops between Hartford and Tolland will expand to the east and add new destinations in Storrs.

The press release said that the route expansion will connect UConn students, faculty and staff to UConn’s Storrs and downtown Hartford campuses, UConn Health in Farmington and various other places in between.

“An investment in our transportation system is an investment in our economic development, and it makes great sense to considerably improve connections between campuses within our state’s flagship university,” Malloy said. “By linking these three campuses together via public transit, in addition to the ability to connect to other destinations in Central Connecticut, including the upcoming Hartford Line rail commuter system with convenient connections to Bradley International Airport, we are making smart investments in our economy.”

According to the press release, the bus is free for UConn students who show their student ID and UPass. Students may receive their UPass through the university, and the pass costs are included in students’ university fees, the press release said.

“There’s been a collective excitement in the UConn community about this service ever since it was proposed,” UConn president Susan Herbst said. “The route will be especially valuable as UConn’s new downtown Hartford campus opens in coming weeks, and we hope it also will help us attract more people to consider working and studying at the Storrs campus who otherwise didn’t have transportation.”

The press release said that the route expansion will run hourly. The route’s hours of operation will be 5:45 a.m. to midnight on weekdays, 6:30 a.m. to midnight on Saturdays and 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Sundays, according to the press release.

The bus will stop at Nash-Zimmer Transportation Center in Storrs Center, Whitney Hall on UConn’s Storrs campus, Four Corners (Route 195 at Route 44), Tolland park and ride lot, Buckland Hills Mall, Manchester-Buckland park and ride (bus stops A and B), downtown Hartford at Central Row, Union Station in Hartford and CTfastrak Sigourney Street station, according to the press release.

“In addition to helping people get from one campus to another, I think this service will be great for our students who want to go to the Buckland Hills Mall and other shopping areas they can’t easily reach right now,” UConn spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said in an email. “It’ll also be a great way for students to get back and forth to campus on weekends and vacations at their own convenience, and they won’t have to rely on getting rides from other people or waiting for their parents to get them. The buses will have wi-fi and chargers, too, so people can listen to music or get some work done during the trip.”

The press release said that at Nash-Zimmer Transportation Center, riders may connect to UConn transportation to travel around campus, as well as for connections to Willimantic. A short walk from the stop in downtown Hartford at Central Row will link riders to UConn’s Hartford campus and other local and express bus services, according to the press release.

The press release said that at the CTfastrak Sigourney Street station, riders may transfer to UConn Health in Farmington through CTfastrak Route 121.

According to the press release, the route expansion will enable riders to connect to central Connecticut’s CTfastrak bus network, in addition to the Hartford Line commuter rail system which will open in May 2018. This rail system will lead to increased train service between New Haven, Hartford and Springfield, the press release said.

CTtransit manages 136 local routes and 24 express bus routes in the Hartford area, the press release said. The CTDOT owns this bus service, according to the press release.

Alexandra Retter is the associate news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at alexandra.retter@uconn.edu.