Izzy Bizu talks love, madness and being called an 'it-girl'

Izzy Bizu. (Photo by Kristal Ho/Creative Commons Flickr)

London-based singer Izzy Bizu is just hours away from kicking off a national tour with Coldplay. She says she’s “surprisingly calm” before the opening show in MetLife Stadium in New York.

“I just can’t wait to go onstage and have a beautiful jam,” Bizu said.

She speaks with excitement in her voice and a charm that ropes you in. She’s honest and open. She’ll tell you about the time she blew off a date to party with a stranger she met on the subway. Or she’ll talk about the whirlwind of emotions she felt that caused her to pen her debut “A Moment of Madness.”

“’White Tiger’ was the first time I fell in love and I was really feeling euphoric and ‘Mad Behaviour’ was being scared of losing it,” Bizu said.

“White Tiger” is a bouncy dance track. Bizu’s smooth jazzy falsetto decorates the upbeat claps and catchy piano underneath her. She compares love to the adrenaline one feels on a rollercoaster.

“Mad Behaviour,” on the other hand, shows a pleading Bizu, far removed from the carefree girl that sings on other tracks. The song is a piano-driven ballad with thumping, dramatic drums. “You have the sweetest soul I ever seen/So why am I venom and green?/I don’t know why I push your boundaries/Paranoid, I’m my worst enemy,” she croons.

23-year-old Bizu said the title “A Moment of Madness” was inspired by growing up and having experiences for the first time. She said she wrote the record after moving out of her parents’ house.

“They were really good parents but I was like ‘Oh my god, I just want to experience absolutely everything,’” Bizu said. “It was a bit mad. I was trying to take too much on when I was young.”

Bizu said her vocal inspiration growing up was Lauryn Hill. She estimates her first performance was when she was 10 or 11 singing “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ on My Head.” She recalls being terrified to sing in front of people as a child.

When asked if she still feels stage fright, Bizu said it hasn’t gone away.

“I think it’s because I’m a generally anxious person. I’ve got this excited nervous energy about me,” Bizu said.

The term “it-girl” has been thrown around to describe Bizu.

“I didn’t know I was an it-girl! That’s so funny,” she exclaims.

Bizu said she doesn’t feel like an it-girl, but acknowledges it’s a nice title to have. “I’ll never feel like one… [In school,] I was a round girl with glasses and braces that wasn’t even particularly that smart,” she laughs.

Bizu gives off good vibes. She’s easy to talk to and light hearted. She said she wants people to simply laugh and have fun at her shows.

“I want them to feel comforted. I want them to feel happy. I want them to feel relieved about whatever shit they were feeling before they came into the gig.”

Schae Beaudoin is the life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at schae.beaudoin@uconn.edu.