Editorial: Welcome to UConn from the Daily Campus

The Daily Campus building. (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

The Daily Campus Editorial Staff cordially welcomes the incoming class of 2017! We look forward to bringing you interesting and insightful content from the many talented writers on our staff and engaging you on the important topics of today.

A few words about The Daily Campus. We are the University of Connecticut’s student-run newspaper, and have been around since the year of 1896. The Daily Campus is the most widely circulated college newspaper in Connecticut, and one of the top few in the New England area. Each paper produced is the result of hours of work on the part of the numerous members of the Daily Campus staff, some of the best people you’ll ever have the pleasure to work with.

The paper has several sections. Our News section faithfully reports on events happening on campus as well as those that occur on a national scale. Our Sports section covers the many exceptional sports teams on campus (which are not just limited to basketball). The Life section discusses movies, television, music, and a host of other interesting topics. And, of course, the Opinion section postulates on the most important (and some less important) issues of our day.

It takes a committed and talented team on multiple levels to bring about the content you are just now familiarizing yourself with. From writers to photographers to copy editors everyone plays a crucial role in the development of the paper. As such, it is a great opportunity for freshman such as yourselves to get involved in something pretty special on campus. The staff covers such a wide range of topics that it is almost guaranteed you will be able to write about and discuss topics of interest to you. You don’t have to be an English or Journalism major, plenty of our members come from STEM fields and others that don’t traditionally indicate an affinity for writing.

The Daily Campus would like to invite everyone to get involved with an incredible and historic institution that is a testament to the dedication of UConn student journalists past, present and future.