Men’s Basketball: Seven fresh faces join UConn’s roster

Sophomore guard Christian Vital squares up for a shot in a game against UCF with head coach Kevin Ollie looking on. (File photo/The Daily Campus)

The start of a new school year means the start of a new basketball season. Just like Gampel Pavilion’s roof is getting a much-needed fix, the UConn men’s basketball team is looking to follow suit after a disastrous 2016-17 season.

Seven players won’t have the burden of last year weighing them down. JUCO transfers Eric Cobb and Kwintin Williams, graduate transfers Antwoine Anderson and David Onuorah, and freshman commits Josh Carlton, Tyler Polley and Isaiah Whaley are filling the void left by several departures from last year’s team.

Here’s everything you need to know about them.

G Antwoine Anderson, grad transfer from Fordham

Anderson spent three seasons playing for the Rams, averaging 8.0 points per game over his career. Last season, Anderson averaged 11.0 points per game with 3.2 assists per game and 41.1 percent shooting. Standing at 6-foot-1 and 190 pounds, he doesn’t add much size, but he adds veteran experience that this young team desperately needs.

F Josh Carlton, freshman commit

Carlton received offers from some coveted basketball schools like Xavier and Georgetown, but ultimately, he chose UConn. Standing at 6-foot-9 and 225 points, he has a solid frame that will provide stability in the frontcourt after the departure of Amida Brimah. Listed as a center on ESPN.com, his size will undoubtedly prove useful to a team that severely lacks it.

F Eric Cobb, JUCO transfer from Chipola College

The biggest fresh face to the Husky roster, Cobb is 6-foor-9 and 285 pounds. Also listed as a forward, Cobb has two years of eligibility. He played sparingly at South Carolina, scoring 27 points in 24 games before leaving the school due to multiple arrests. He averaged 10.9 points per game and 8.2 rebounds in one season at Chipola. He joins UConn as the biggest man on the roster, complementing the young, guard-oriented team UConn boasts.

F David Onuorah, grad transfer from Cornell

Onuorah averaged 3.4 points and 4.7 rebounds at Cornell over his first three seasons before departing the team for “personal reasons” following an injury in the first game of his senior year. A defense-oriented player, the 6-foot-9, 242-pound forward will add more depth to UConn’s frontcourt.

F Tyler Polley, freshman commit

Polley toured UConn with de-commit Makai Ashton-Langford, and was initially shown around campus by Jalen Adams and the now-departed Vance Jackson and Steve Enoch. He had offers from Pitt, Georgia Tech and Oklahoma State, but ultimately fell in love with UConn’s facilities and coaches. He’s a versatile wing that will help add some flexibility to the Husky roster.

F Isaiah Whaley, freshman commit

Standing at 6-foot-9 and just over 200 pounds, Whaley fits the recent profile for UConn big men: tall and lanky. He told scout.com over the summer that UConn’s plans “fit my plans,” which is a refreshing change of pace. A fast-paced player, Whaley averaged 17.5 points, 9.1 rebounds and 4.7 blocks per game in his junior year, his best high school season.

F Kwintin Williams, JUCO transfer from Arizona Western

Perhaps known best for his viral dunks, Williams undoubtedly adds athleticism to UConn’s roster. He played one season at Pima College in Arizona, averaging 18.0 points per game on 55 percent shooting and 8.3 rebounds per game. He transferred from there to Arizona Western but didn’t play to preserve his remaining three years of eligibility. He intended to play at a power-5 school before a phone call from Kevin Ollie convinced him to come to UConn.

Stephanie Sheehan is the managing editor for The Daily Campus, covering men’s basketball. She can be reached via email at stephanie.sheehan@uconn.edu. She tweets @steph_sheehan.