Roundtable: First semester memories

With the Class of 2021 moving into Storrs this weekend, the Daily Campus Life section looked back at the beginning of their college careers.

The Jonathan the Husky statue is an iconic part of campus and an integral part of many college memories. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Julia Mancini - Associate Life Editor

My first day of first semester, my initial impression on my roommate, before she left me alone to spend the day in Boston, was walking in on her changing. During my first meal at the dining hall, a mustard dispenser decided to explode on my favorite outfit. A few days later I slept through my alarm and woke up about five minutes before my first college class started. Aside from that auspicious beginning, I had a great semester, academically and otherwise. My best friend and I made a lot of memories, including walking a mile through the rain for sushi and taking microwave popcorn from a house before we left a party early. I made a lot of amazing friends and met the Jonathan’s on the morning of my first football game. I was even featured on their Instagram! I take pride in the fact that, as a freshman, I never got lost on campus, learned the bus routes relatively quickly and only locked myself out of my room once (it ended up being a positive bonding experience with my roommate).

Dan Wood - Staff Writer

Being a transfer student, my first semester memories probably don’t match many to that of a typical freshman but they were great memories regardless. My first semester at UConn was full of many memories but one worth sharing was that of the night with all the new roommates under one roof for the first time. The four of us were at the apartment, all wiped out from driving and unpacking. Unsure of what the rest of us do for fun, one of my roommates suggests we get some booze for the four of us so we can relax and get to know eachother better. At around 5 am the next morning, I awoke sitting at the kitchen table with my head down in a subway wrapper and a half eaten six inch tuna still in my hand. A photo exists somewhere of me in this state...a word of advice, don’t anxiously over drink with people you just met.

Schae Beaudoin - Life Editor

I also transferred into UConn. I actually went to Emerson College in Boston my freshman year, so while my freshman year wasn’t at UConn, I still have great memories of it. The day I moved in, my RAs held an ice cream social. My roommates and I met a group of guys that ended up becoming our best friends that we hung out with every single night for months. We later decided to go out and explore the city with no idea where we were going. We ended up at the Charles River sometime past midnight and running around on an empty playground. While the Charles doesn’t run through Storrs, we have a huge campus. So I guess the moral of the story is to explore as much as you can before you get bogged down by school. And go to the ice cream socials/pizza parties/movie nights your RA schedules, even if they sound lame.

Amar Batra - Senior Staff Photographer/Weekly Columnist

I’ve been at this school longer than most people (going on year five, right now) so my memories of my first semesters are a little murky, but a few things stand out. I remember my roommate and I being too lazy to go to pick up a pizza at one point freshman year, so we had Husky Pizza deliver it to Buckley. This is especially impressive because Husky Pizza is located just over 100 yards away. I also remember walking back from seeing Kal Penn in Jorgensen with my floormates. We spent the the 20-30 minute walk cracking jokes about all of the dumb questions asked during the Q&A. These memories might seem like small things, but they represent moments when relationships were formed. So to impart some words of wisdom: remember the little things. A ton of stuff is going to happen to you over these next four (or five) years. Something as small as heading to a sports game, plunging through the ice into Mirror Lake, falling asleep in every UNIV class or playing board games until three in the morning with people you don’t really know might just be the start of some journeys and friendships that stay with you forever.

Julia Mancini is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at Julia.mancini@uconn.edu.

Dan Wood is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.wood@uconn.edu.

Schae Beaudoin is the life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at schae.beaudoin@uconn.edu.

Amar Batra is a senior staff photographer and weekly columnist for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email amar.batra@uconn.edu. He tweets at @amar_batra19.