Melissa’s Menu: Chocolate Peanut Butter Mug Cake

Writer Melissa Scrivani will be showing everyone how to make quick and easy recipes that won't break the bank and only require a microwave. First up: chocolate peanut butter mug cake. (Jamie/Flickr, Creative Commons)

Now that we’re back at school, not everyone has access to a full kitchen. This may make cooking seem slightly impossible, but there are actually many quick and easy recipes that can be made with only a microwave! This week’s recipe, a chocolate peanut butter mug cake, proves that in just a few minutes, you can create something delicious.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons chocolate chips

Directions:

Melt butter in a small bowl. Add in the peanut butter and stir well.
In your mug, add in the vanilla, sugar and egg and mix until thoroughly combined. Then add in the flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder. Pour in the peanut butter and butter mixture and stir well. Lastly, fold in the chocolate chips. Put in the microwave for about one to two minutes or until cooked through (since every microwave is different you may have to start with one minute and add on time if it is not fully cooked yet). Top with peanut butter pie mousse and hot fudge.

Peanut Butter Pie Mousse (Topping)

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon softened cream cheese
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons whipped cream or cool whip
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
hot fudge

Directions:
Stir together the cream cheese, peanut butter and vanilla. Once combined, fold in the whipped cream. Add in the powdered sugar (can be sifted using a fork). Be careful to not over stir. Scoop desired amount onto your mug cake and then drizzle hot fudge on top.

This recipe is super easy to make and can be a nice warm dessert to make the start of classes and homework a little more bearable.  If you want to keep it extra simple, I would suggest skipping the mousse topping and just sticking to the cake. Instead of the mousse you could also just drizzle the hot fudge on top or melt peanut butter and drizzle that. Either way, it can be a nice treat when you’re missing home cooking or can be something easy to whip up and impress your friends!

Melissa Scrivani is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.