New on Netflix this September

“Hercules", “Mulan”, “Pocahontas”, “Jaws”, "Pulp Fiction", and many more movies have been added to the Netflix library this month, while "Midnight in Paris" and "Jackass: The Movie” will be leaving.  (Wikimedia Commons)

While we mentally prepare for a new semester full of stress, tests and homework, Netflix will always be there when we need a nice break from our busy school schedules. Netflix has an extensive assortment of films and television shows available for instant streaming and they are always adding new media every month. Here is your guide to the shows and movies that will be added to and removed from Netflix this September.

If you are a fan of classic and current Disney musicals, then a lot of great titles will be coming your way this September. Cartoon musicals like “Hercules,”  “Mulan” and “Pocahontas” will be making their way back to the streaming site early in the month, while Disney’s latest box office hit, the 2017 live action remake of “Beauty and the Beast” is the last to join Netflix on Sept. 19. Another live action Disney musical, “Newsies: The Broadway Musical,” will be available for streaming on Sept. 5.

Oscar winning movies like Quentin Tarantino’s cult classic “Pulp Fiction,” Peter Weir’s “Dead Poets Society” and Steven Spielberg’s “Jaws” will be added to Netflix’s extensive library, as well as Academy nominated films like “Carol” and “Gangs of New York.”

While Netflix will be gaining a wide array of movies this September, there are still some great television shows coming to the streaming service which are worthy of binge-watching. Season three of the highly acclaimed Netflix original series “Narcos” will be joined by season seven of AMC’s hit zombie thriller “The Walking Dead” and season three of “Gotham.” Comedies like “BoJack Horseman,” “Portlandia” and “Fuller House” will also be making their way to Netflix throughout the month.

For anyone in search of a little nostalgia, Netflix’s revival of the educational cartoon, “The Magic School Bus” (now called “The Magic Schools Bus Rides Again”) will be returning to the small screen at the end of the month. For those who cannot wait until Sept. 29 for their daily dose of nostalgia, “VeggieTales in the City” and “The Rugrats Movie” will join the service on Sept. 15 and Sept. 1, respectively.

September is also a good month for sequels, as all four “Jaws” movies will be available for streaming on the Sept. 1. The “Jaws” franchise will also be joined by six versions of “Shaquille O’Neal Presents: All Star Comedy Jam,” which is sure to be a fun binge-watch.  

Be sure that you catch these shows and films before they leave the streaming site next month. Films like “Midnight in Paris,” “Jackass: The Movie,” and Jack Black’s hilarious 2006 comedy “Nacho Libre” will be leaving on Sept. 1. While several Disney musicals will be leaving Netflix this month, classic Disney movies such as “Lilo & Stitch” and “The Emperor’s New Groove” will be removed from the streaming service on Sept. 5. Television shows such as “The Batman,” “Wilfred,” “Star Wars: The Clone Wars,” “CSI: Miami” and “Raising Hope” will disappear from the service throughout the month.

Lauren Brown is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lauren.brown@uconn.edu.