NFL teams catch injury bug as season approaches

New England Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman (11) is taken off the field on a cart during the first half of an NFL preseason football game against the Detroit Lions, Friday, Aug. 25, 2017, in Detroit. (AP Photo/Duane Burleson)

If you haven’t drafted your fantasy football team yet, I would advise to wait as long as possible. There are always a few notable NFL injuries in the preseason every year: Tony Romo and Teddy Bridgewater in 2016, Jordy Nelson and Kelvin Benjamin in 2015 – the list goes on and on. As it turns out, 2017 is no different.

Week two of the NFL preseason saw Odell Beckham Jr. go down with an ankle injury against the Cleveland Browns. Despite jogging to the locker room and a negative X-ray, an MRI confirmed Odell’s sprained ankle that will put him at jeopardy of starting week one against the Dallas Cowboys.

Odell Beckham Jr. was just the tip of the iceberg leading up to a gruesome week three.

Week three saw not one, but two season-ending injuries. Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman, Tom Brady’s favorite target for the last four years, suffered a torn right ACL and will require season-ending surgery. The injury was suffered last Friday night in a preseason game against the Detroit Lions when the two-time Super Bowl champion planted on the turf.

Luckily for the Patriots, they still have Tom Brady and a plethora of talented targets in Brandin Cooks, Danny Amendola, Chris Hogan and Malcolm Mitchell. Add in Rob Gronkowski, Dion Lewis and James White and this offense should be just fine.

Kansas City Chiefs running back Spencer Ware is taken off the field on a cart after an injury during the first half of an NFL football preseason game against the Seattle Seahawks, Friday, Aug. 25, 2017, in Seattle. (AP Photo/John Froschauer)

Kansas City Chiefs running back Spencer Ware suffered a torn PCL in his right knee among other injuries. After an initial projection that Ware would be back by the middle of the season, he has been ruled out with a season-ending surgery. What does this mean for Kansas City? Rookie Kareem Hunt, a third round pick from Toledo, will most likely be the team’s starting back.

Getting back to the AFC East, Buffalo Bills quarterback Tyrod Taylor was taken out of Saturday’s game with a concussion. Given the complicated concussion protocol to get back, there is currently no definitive timetable for Taylor’s return. The second string quarterback in Buffalo is Nathan Peterman, a fifth round pick this year out of Pittsburgh.

Cameron Meredith, the Chicago Bears’ leading receiver in 2016, was carted off the field with an air cast over his left knee. While no diagnosis has been released, the air cast is usually a sign of very bad news. The Bears and rookie quarterback Mitch Trubisky will certainly miss his production.

There are a few more notable injuries from this year’s preseason. Minnesota Vikings’ Bishop Sankey headlines the group of six players already suffering season-ending injuries prior to week three. Dallas Cowboys linebacker Anthony Hitchens has a fracture in his right knee that will keep him sidelined for eight weeks.

We have just one more week of the preseason; players and fans alike will be holding their breath right up until regular season kickoff.

Connor Donahue is the digital editor for The Daily Campus, and a staff writer in the sports department. He can be reached via email at connor.f.donahue@uconn.edu. He tweets @conn_donahue.