‘Rick and Morty’ continues to develop story while keeping up the jokes

Season three of "Rick and Morty" was released April 7, 2017. (Screenshot/Adult Swim)

The painstaking wait for “Rick and Morty” season three is proving to be worth it. The series is keeping with its storylines involving the dysfunctionality of the Sanchez/Smith clan, while still sticking in ridiculous laughs.

Let’s be real, Pickle Rick has been the star of the season so far. There are already Pickle Rick t-shirts and the episode is only three weeks old. In shockingly gory fashion, Pickle Rick left a slew of carnage and death in his wake. Destruction is one of Rick’s specialties and Pickle Rick was a reminder of his erratic behavior.

Speaking of Rick’s erratic behavior, “Vindicators 3: The Return of Worldender" contains a blackout drunk Rick setting up a “Saw”-esque challenge, putting his grandson Morty in danger, along with the rest of the superhero league known as the Vindicators. When Morty discovers he isn’t the only part of the Vindicators that Rick cares about (it was Noob Noob, after all), Morty is hurt, as he’s been several times before by Rick’s seeming inability to care about anyone but himself. Morty doesn’t join Rick on his next adventure. Rather, it’s a “Rick and Jerry episode!” as Rick shouts while dragging Jerry out of bed naked in the middle of the night.

Season three also shows the marriage troubles of Morty’s parents Beth and Jerry reaching a peak when they divorce. Again, Rick is at the center of this drama. Beth’s fear of her father leaving her again, as he already did once when she was young, dictates her actions toward her husband and children. When Jerry gives the “it’s him or me” ultimatum, Beth chooses Rick without a second thought. In post-family therapy session, Beth shows she’s more interested in spending time with Rick than she is in her children. She cracks jokes about Summer’s enamel huffing and dismisses the family’s therapist with Rick, while her children wonder if they’ll go back to address their issues.

So far, the season suggests Morty is less forgiving toward Rick. He convinces Rick to take Jerry on an adventure, simply so he can get a break from Rick’s unpredictable behavior. He isn’t following in his mother’s easily forgiving footsteps. He’s trying to break out of them.

“Rick and Morty” continues to find a way to speak to serious real-life issues like divorce, alcoholism and abandonment, while still cracking its audience up over something as ridiculous as a mad scientist who’s turned himself into a murderous pickle to avoid family therapy.

Rick is the ultimate denier. His resistance to facing his own demons is so strong, it only creates more problems. He will continue to drink and destroy to pretend nothing is wrong. In fact, as the family’s therapist suggests they start weekly appointments, Rick (in the form of a pickle) waltzes in, interrupting any progress that was made. One has to wonder when Rick’s problems will come to an undeniable head and what lays in store when that moment happens.

Schae Beaudoin is the life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at schae.beaudoin@uconn.edu.