‘The Bold Type’: Freeform’s daring new hit series

Loosely based on the writers of Cosmopolitan magazine, “The Bold Type” took the summer TV circuit by storm. It’s a bright, fast-paced sitcom that has been boding well with millennial viewers. 

The show follows the lives of three employees at the fictitious Scarlet Magazine. Jane Sloan is portrayed by Katie Stevens, a previous contestant on “American Idol” and star of the MTV show, “Faking It.” She is the writer of the group, pushing the envelope and breaking new ground with her original take on stories. Sloan often draws from her own familial or romantic life for interesting new angles in her articles and strives to be seen as more than just a sex-columnist. Friend Kat Edison (rising star, Aisha Dee) is the social media director of the magazine and exploring her sexuality as she constantly tests her limits with the magazine’s editor-in-chief, Jacqueline Carlyle (“The Office’s” Melora Hardin). The third member of the power trio is Sutton Brady (Meghann Fahy), who is the only one of the group that hasn’t yet been promoted from her initial assistant position.

As far as shows about working-women and millennials in a big city go, “The Bold Type” is a very optimistic one. It shows a lot of mobility in the workplace, with Edison being promoted to director and having employees under her in the social media department in just two years. All three girls happen to be in very good standing with their editor-in-chief, and perhaps are even a little favored, despite only having worked at the magazine for a few years and the company being a large one. Also, it’s never quite explained how these three 20-somethings are affording the rent for their very well-furnished apartments. And, somehow, despite the series taking place in New York City, nothing has really gone wrong for these women. When one girl loses something of value in a taxi cab, it is found safe and sound days later. Not to mention that they all find love at one point or another.

While it has a very lighthearted, feel-good and positive tone, the show does take a stab at dealing with some serious issues, such as deportation, sexuality, cancer, and feminism. It does a good job of tackling some of the jealousies and issues that arise in friendships and relationships, especially ones developed in the workplace. Diversity is certainly an important facet of the show, as well.

The show’s primary focus on these friends achieving success and finding happiness is a familiar one, undoubtedly. One could almost call it a weaker, more modern version of “Sex and the City.” It certainly plays off of other similar shows on networks or streaming sites today, such as HBO’s “Insecure” or TV Land’s “Younger.”

For the most part, the writing is witty. It is not forcefully trying to stay relevant with slang terms, although they do reference popular dating apps, etc. The casting is strong and the soundtrack is stronger, with the perfect playlist of sugary indie songs, which can be found on Freeform’s Spotify. 

The first season was a short one, with only 10 episodes. You can catch the last two airing at 9 p.m. on Freeform on Tuesday nights and binge-watch the first eight on Freeform.go.com now!

Julia Mancini is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at Julia.mancini@uconn.edu.