UPass for bus service to Hartford available online

The UPass allows UConn students, faculty and staff to ride the new CTtransit bus service route that connects riders via public transportation from the UConn Storrs campus to Hartford. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

University of Connecticut students, faculty and staff can obtain their UPass online to ride the new CTtransit bus service route that connects riders via public transportation from the UConn Storrs campus to Hartford.

According to the UPass website, this bus service is free for all students and faculty members as long as they have attained a UPass and have a valid UConn ID, since the fee for the pass is included in tuition. The pass can be obtained online at upass.uconn.edu.  

The UPass website contains information about bus stops and bus times, as well as a link to order a pass.

Annalise Halle, a fifth-semester commuter student, said that she found it easy to order the pass online.

“It took less than 10 minutes to fill out and was pretty simple,” Halle said.

Seventh-semester student Emily Nepomuano also said that the process to order the pass online was simple.

“It’s very self explanatory,” Nepomuano said.

Students pick up their new UPasses in the Student Union on Aug. 28, 2017. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

According to the UPass website, the pass can be sent to you at your address.

The UPass website said that the bus passes issued at the beginning of this semester will be valid until Dec. 31. Students must re-order a pass for the next semester if they want to continue to use the service.

The new CTtransit route up to Storrs began to run Aug. 13 and connects the UConn campus to Hartford through track 913.

According to the CTtransit website, this track extended from downtown Hartford to Storrs Center in UConn, with stops in Manchester and Tolland along the way. Along the route is a stop at UConn’s newly opened campus in Hartford, which allows students to take classes on both campuses.

“This pass is really helpful for commuters because the parking situation is horrible,” Halle said.

The CTtransit website said that buses make stops in Storrs Center and in front of Whitney Hall. The bus runs from 5:45 a.m. to midnight on weekdays, 6:30 a.m. to midnight on Saturdays and  6:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Sundays, with buses that run every few hours.

The UPass website said that travel with the pass is not limited to CTtransit bus services. With a pass and student ID, you also gain access to the New Haven Rail Line, Norwalk Transit and many other travel services in the state. This allows students to transfer from the CTtransit buses to other local services to get anywhere they need to be.

Molly Desroches is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at molly.desroches@uconn.edu.