Artist Spotlight: Lil Uzi Vert releases "Luv is Rage 2"

Lil Uzi Vert arrives at the MTV Video Music Awards at The Forum on Sunday, Aug. 27, 2017, in Inglewood, Calif. (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP)

Last Friday, Lil Uzi Vert released his highly anticipated “Luv Is Rage 2” album, and his fans do not know what to do with themselves. Only a week old, this album already has five “Most Popular” starred songs on it, according to plays recorded by Apple Music. Uzi is known for his fiery beats and unique flows, and this project is no different. He stuck to his basics, but delivered a generally energetic, electric sound for his fans to enjoy.

In “Luv Is Rage 2,” we hear more about Uzi’s journey of being a proclaimed “rock star,” including the fame, fortune, friends, females, and fortitude through life. In order to portray this, Uzi experimented with some more sympathetic rhythms and lyrics, heard on “Dark Queen,” “The Way Life Goes,” and “Feeling Mutual.” Regardless of what Uzi says, his dynamic instrumentation, which he has displayed since “Luv Is Rage” remains. On these songs, Uzi shows us that he goes through the ups and downs that we all can relate to, despite how awesome being rich and famous might seem.

Now let’s talk about the main hits that were already established in such a short time. On the list in order, we have “Two,” “444+222,” “Sauce It Up,” “No Sleep Leak,” and “The Way Life Goes.” As soon as you click play, “Two” glues you in with its slow, riveting start that jumps right into a rousing beat-drop. At the beginning we hear, “I ain’t gon’ lie, I got money and the power” which turns into “Yeah, the famous life, it’ll eat you up alive. It’s a game and I put my feelings to the side” by the time the chorus comes. He emphasizes the happiness and pride he feels from the benefits of being a star, but also points out the drawbacks that will devour you if you don’t have a thick skin. These ideas set the tone for the rest of the songs, telling listeners that he has experienced so much in the game already that he wants to share.

If you don’t know much about Lil Uzi, “Luv Is Rage 2” is the sequel to “Luv Is Rage.” In between these two albums came the release of “The Perfect LUV Tape” and “Lil Uzi Vert Vs. The World,” which was the climax of his mainstream career.

Songs from that blew up from these tapes include “Do What I Want,” “Money Longer,” “P’s and Q’s,” and “You Was Right,” which have been played in videos all over Twitter, Instagram and in thousands of Snapchat stories. These songs were Uzi’s introduction to the industry. Through them, he was able to make a statement about who he was as an artist and what he had to offer the urban world. 

These works were first released on Soundcloud, a platform Uzi has been using since January 2014. This is where he (as well as other artists such as Lil Yachty, Playboi Carti, XXXTENTACION, and Ugly God) originated and has been gaining attention for quite some time. These artists have successfully contributed to the new sub-genre of hip-hop and have paved the way for other artists such as Famous Dex, Lil Pump, UnoTheActivist and Duwap Kaine to progressively make their way into the spotlight as well.

Lil Uzi Vert took the bull by the horns in the music world, and has been making power moves ever since. Signing to Atlantic Records catalyzed making this underground artist a household name as more people listen to and admire his fiery modern beats and flow. He is without a doubt an entertainer who keeps his fans on their toes and waiting for what other compelling works he will release.

Gabrielle Ferrell is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at gabrielle.ferrell@uconn.edu.