Don’t Call It A Comeback Tour: Musings of a fifth-year senior

As Amar embarks on his fifth year at UConn he looks back on his past four years and looks forward to his next one. (Matt Lin/Daily Campus)

Well, this is awkward.

Weird way to start a column right? For about 25 percent of the people reading this there should be no reason why this is awkward. Those 25 percent have no idea who I am or why this should be awkward. But, there are a ton of you who actually know what’s going on. See, back in April of 2017 I wrote a really heartfelt column about how much the Daily Campus has done for me and how I am super sad to leave but I’m excited for a new adventure.

Clearly things didn’t work out that way and now you’re stuck with me for another year.

Speaking of another year, welcome back everybody. For some of you it might be your first year and for others (like me) it might be your fifth. Regardless welcome back to the greatest place on Earth.

Last year I spent the entire time writing about how to be lazy and still survive college. It was a kind of slice-of-life column crossed with a “here are the rules in surviving college” kind of thing. This time we’re going to take a different path, mainly because I want to do something different, but also because I don’t really have time to be lazy anymore.

I’ve been at UConn for a long time, four going on five years if you want to get specific, which means that I might have a different take on exactly what is going on.

I’ve seen things that other students have never experienced. I’ve seen the riots and celebrations from UConn winning two national championships. I’ve witnessed famous speakers like Kal Penn and Trevor Noah give speeches about living as minorities in America. I’ve seen kids go sledding down Horsebarn Hill in a canoe and I’ve personally seen what Mirror Lake looks like if you fall through the ice.   

I’ve experienced a ton over the past four years and now I want to share it with you, the next generation of Huskies. And for this first week I have some very crucial advice: Get out now.

Not get out of UConn but get out of your dorm. The first week of classes is, by far, the easiest week of the semester. Sure, syllabus week is basically a myth but you also aren’t going to have tons of homework assigned or any major assignments due. The first week is the time to get out of your dorm and explore the parts of campus. In a few months, it’s going to be too cold to go exploring and you’re going to have way too much work to even think about going anywhere.

Now is the time to start making the connections that are going to last a lifetime. Now is the time to start exploring the campus that is going to be your home for the next four or five years. The involvement fair is coming soon so head on out to check out some of the clubs you can sign up for. Maybe go to a football or soccer game.

The first week of classes can seem like there is a lot going on. You are going to be constantly bombarded by emails, initiations and God knows what else. Getting out of your dorm will allow you to clear your mind and really take in all that college has to offer.

Like I said earlier, I’ve experienced exactly what you are going through now. It’s a lot to take in but it’s all worth it. Coming back as a super senior has given me a sense of clarity of everything that’s going on. This year isn’t a comeback tour, it’s a new journey for you and me.

Amar Batra is a senior staff photographer and weekly columnist for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email amar.batra@uconn.edu. He tweets at @amar_batra19.