Roundtable: Best part of my summer

A few writers took the time to reminisce of their summers and all that they brought. (Melissa Scrivani/Daily Campus)

Julia Mancini, Associate Life Editor

While I didn’t necessarily go on any vacations this summer, I did learn to take advantage of my car and Connecticut’s central location in the northeast. I took a lot of day trips to local attractions and neighboring states. I took the train into New York City a few times for concerts and museums. I also spent a good amount of time exploring New Haven restaurants and shopping. My friends and I drove to West Hartford for shopping and the rose garden there. I visited the Emily Dickinson House in Amherst, Massachusetts (a true thrill for any English major) and visited my sister in Boston. We also went to a lot of local beaches and even drove up to Misquamicut, Rhode Island once or twice. I think people tend to overlook all the exciting places to see in New England over the summer.

Possibly my favorite part of summer, however, was making it my personal goal to see all of the Gutenberg Bibles in the United States. Of the nearly 50 complete Bibles in existence today, 11 are in the continental U.S. and pretty easily accessible on the East Coast. My boyfriend and some friends accompanied me as I embarked on multiple day trips and was able to see five of the bible's nearest to me. Next summer, I’m definitely going to try to view the other six. Yes, even the one in Indiana.

Melissa Scrivani, Campus Correspondent

(Melissa Scrivani/Daily Campus)

Due to being a broke college student, I spent my summer trying to find cheap but fun activities to do around Connecticut and New England with my friends. This included a lot of day trips close to home. I wanted to branch out and go to places I haven’t been to before. I have always wanted to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City and have never been so I made a point to go this summer. I also went to the Elizabeth Park Rose Gardens in West Hartford which I had heard of but never been to. Both were super beautiful and impressive. I love food and animals so a few of my trips included the Bronx Zoo (free on Wednesdays), a pet store in Danbury where you can hold and play with puppies for free and many local restaurants. Other than that, I spent a lot of time at the beach, both in Connecticut and Rhode Island, or just hanging out with my friends by the pool at someone’s house. All of these things are really cheap but still a lot of fun, proving you can still have a memorable summer on a budget.

One of the most memorable parts of my summer was my family vacation to Boston for a few days. Boston is one of my favorite cities and it was really nice to spend time exploring. Some of my favorite parts of the trip included eating delicious Italian food in the North End, taking one of Boston’s famous Duck Tours, shopping around Quincy Market and Newbury Street and going to the science museum.

Teddy Craven, Campus Correspondent

The highlight of my summer was the Kendrick Lamar, Travis Scott, and D.R.A.M concert at Boston’s TD Garden. Each performer killed it but what I was most shocked by was the viewing experience. Are concerts lawless places now? You can smoke weed out in the open, in a closed stadium, and there are no consequences. During Scott’s set, I looked into the center of the stadium and hovering above the crowd was a huge cloud of smoke that was either created by one vape or many people smoking weed. It makes sense that the venue allows this to happen. On one hand, because of the changing landscape of music, performers make the majority of their money on tour, so they want their concert to be as appealing as possible to increase ticket sales. From the venue’s perspective, this concert took place on July 23, the Celtics season ended in May, and the Bruins start in October. They need revenue during the down months of the summer, so why kill their own profits by outlawing smoking?

The song of the night was Travis Scott’s cover of “Day n’ Nite” by Kid Cudi. Scott and Cudi are both disciples of the Kanye West sphere of influence and do very similar things with their voices, so the cover worked perfectly. This concert was the highlight of my summer and got me excited for whatever the spring concert will be at UConn.

Lauren Brown, Staff Writer

This past summer was a bit busy for me, which made going on any sort of long vacation very difficult. Many of my highlights happened in downtown New Haven, which is only a short car ride from where I live. I explored New Haven’s bar and restaurant scene, went shopping and even saw Glass Animals at the College Street Music Hall! Seeing one of my favorite bands in concert was definitely a highlight of my summer break. Even though I spent most of my summer in Connecticut, I was still able to find ways to keep myself busy without spending too much time or money on traveling.

In addition to my New Haven adventures, I made several short trips around the New England area. On one of these day trips, I traveled to Newport, Rhode Island to tour the Newport Mansions. Sadly, we only had time to do two mansion tours, so my group and I decided on The Breakers and Marble House. The two mansions were absolutely beautiful, it was impossible not to be in awe of these grandiose buildings. As a history major, I spent most of my time excitedly listening to every single audio file on the tour, even though it took me quite a while to get through each house. Both houses represent such an important part of American history, so it was incredibly exciting to learn about the lives of those who had redefined what it meant to be a millionaire. During our time in Newport, we also strolled along the Cliff Walk, which boasted amazing views of the ocean's waves as they broke against the rocks.

Julia Mancini is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at Julia.mancini@uconn.edu.  

Melissa Scrivani is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.

Teddy Craven is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at edward.craven_jr@uconn.edu.

Lauren Brown is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lauren.brown@uconn.edu.