Copy of Memorial run honoring UConn grad to take place Sept. 16

The UConn Veteran's Affairs office is located on the third floor of Arjona. The office helps veterans adjust to University life and provides a community of support. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

A run will be held on Saturday, Sept. 16 to honor Kyle Milliken, a 2002 graduate of the University of Connecticut and United States Navy Special Warfare Operator Senior Chief Petty Officer (SEAL) killed in action May 5 of this year in Somalia.

He was an amazing father, husband, son, brother and friend, whose passion for life was contagious… He was the cornerstone of his family, friends and team
— Milliken's friend Trevor Sykes

Milliken’s close friends Joseph Mendel, a 2003 graduate, Trevor Sykes, a 2001 graduate, and Sara Sykes, a 2002 graduate, as well as UConn men’s track and field head coach Gregory Roy, will host the event. They have partnered with the men’s track and field team and the UConn Foundation to help raise money for a scholarship in memory of Milliken.

Milliken walked onto the UConn Track and Field team in 1998 as a middle distance runner and was an excellent athlete and teammate, according to Roy.

“His work ethic, perseverance and overall toughness was appreciated by everyone around him. Kyle was a great student as well, it really didn't surprise me when he made the grade as a Navy SEAL,” Roy said. “The country has lost a great American and UConn has lost an alum who has made us proud. Our heart goes out to his wife and kids.”

Milliken was a decorated combat veteran with 10 deployments who,“embodied the warrior spirit and toughness infused in our very best Navy SEALs,” according to Rear Admiral Timothy Szymanski.

The five-mile race is on the track and field “Bone Mill” training course and is open to anyone interested. Registration for the race closes Sept. 15.

The race registration is free, and for those who wish to donate in Milliken’s memory, there is a donation page on the UConn Foundation page. Individuals who donate $35 or over receive a free race shirt (while supplies last.)

On the day of the race, registration will take place at the UConn Alumni House from noon to 12: 50 p.m. and the run will start at 1 p.m. Also, a reception and memorial and testimonial, sponsored by Black Hog Brewery and The Hop Knot, will go on from 2 to 5 p.m. at the Alumni House.

“All proceeds from this event will go towards The Kyle Milliken Memorial Fund—a scholarship and capital project fund that we established in Kyle's name at UCONN,” Sykes said.

Sykes said that she welcomes all UConn students to register for the race to help honor Milliken’s memory.

“He was an amazing father, husband, son, brother and friend, whose passion for life was contagious… He was the cornerstone of his family, friends and team,” Sykes said.

Molly Desrochers is a Campus Correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at molly.desrochers@uconn.edu.