Bursar implements student refund policy change

Wilbur Cross is the administrative hub of campus and contains many student services including the Offices of the Registrar, Bursar and the office of financial aide office. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut’s Office of the Bursar Student Disbursement Office recently implemented a student refund policy change that will see the office process paper refunds on Wednesdays only.

“Creating paper checks on Wednesdays only has…helped us to stream-line our student disbursements process, and reduce the amount of money spent on check-stock, envelopes and postage,” manager of the bursar’s office’s client service center Nina Cote said.

According to Cote, the policy change has decreased the amount of refund checks that remain uncashed at the conclusion of the year.

“If checks remain uncashed after three years, we are required to forward these outstanding funds to the state treasurer as unclaimed property,” Cote said.

Prior to the institution of the policy change on July 1, 2017, at the beginning of the new fiscal year, the office processed paper refunds each weekday, Cote said.

According to a Daily Digest announcement, the office will process direct deposit refunds Monday through Friday.

Cote said direct deposit is the most efficient method for students to obtain their refund.

“We are happy to offer direct deposit as the fastest and safest way for students to receive their refund,” Cote said. “Once the refund is initiated from the bursar’s office, the student will see the funds in their account in one to three business days.”

The third annual “Direct Deposit Challenge” took place during this past summer, Cote said.

“This is a 10-week competition where we challenge students to enroll in direct deposit. As students enroll in direct deposit over this time period they are automatically entered into a random weekly drawing for a $25 prepaid gift card,” Cote said. “This summer we had 2,905 students enroll, an overall increase in the number of students enrolled in direct deposit of nine percent. There were eight winners from Storrs, one winner from UCHC (University of Connecticut Health Center) and one winner from Waterbury.”

According to Cote, students can enroll in direct deposit online through the student administration system.

Alexandra Retter is the associate news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at alexandra.retter@uconn.edu.