Husky Bucks now accepted in downtown Hartford

Husky Bucks are accepted at many retail locations in Stores and  will be expanding to downtown Hartford. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Students who attend the University of Connecticut can now use Husky Bucks at various locations in downtown Hartford.

Husky Bucks will now be accepted at Bears Smokehouse BBQ, Blind Pig Pizza Company, Chango Rosa, The Boss Grill, Infinity Music Hall and Bistro, NIXS Kitchen, Front Street Bistro and Spotlight Theatres, The Greenway Market and The Kitchen at Hartford Public Library.

One Card Office director Stephanie Kernozicky said one of the reasons why UConn opened its downtown Hartford campus was to revitalize the city, and local businesses are a huge part of that revitalization.

“The Husky Bucks program brings the UConn community to local downtown Hartford businesses, thus supporting them while offering students and employees many new places where their Husky One Card (UConn ID) is accepted. [Cardholders] can use [their] UConn ID for anything from going to see a movie after class to grabbing a cup of coffee or breakfast at the café in the library,” Kernozicky said.

Many downtown merchants were proactive and reached out to us via an application on our website. We also visited restaurants within walking distance of the campus to talk to them about the Husky Bucks program
— One Card Office director Stephanie Kernozicky

Though there are 11 merchants in downtown Hartford that now accept Husky Bucks, Kernozicky said there are more currently in the application stage.

“Many downtown merchants were proactive and reached out to us via an application on our website. We also visited restaurants within walking distance of the campus to talk to them about the Husky Bucks program,” she said.

Kernozicky said she believes the Husky Bucks program will encourage visits to UConn’s Hartford campus.

“The new bus routes, via the UConn student ID and U-Pass, from Storrs to the Hartford campus, allow anyone to visit downtown Hartford. We’ve just added the convenience of only needing your Husky One Card to pay for food and merchandise while you visit,” she said.

UConn students said they would take advantage of the program if they visited the Hartford campus.

“It’s surprising to see how universal Husky Bucks can be. I definitely would prefer to use them as a payment method if I ever visit Hartford because UConn offers incentives to load up our One Card with them,” said third-semester accounting major Tiffany Cheung.

Students can make Husky Bucks Deposits at onecard.uconn.edu by using a credit or debit card. The One Card Office has also added a new deposit option that allows students in good standing to make an instant deposit to Husky Bucks by placing the charge to their fee bill.

“This is a great option for students, as it is a fee-free way to make an instant, online deposit,” Kernozicky said.

The One Card Office can be contacted at (860) 486 3129 with any questions.

Gabriella Debenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.