Volleyball: Huskies take one out of three at Villanova Classic

UConn volleyball managed one victory in Philadeplhia this weekend (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

The UConn volleyball team swept UAlbany but lost to Villanova and Princeton in three matches at the Villanova Classic this past weekend.

The Huskies are now 5-4 overall for the season.

In their first match of the tournament against UAlbany (0-7), senior Tosin Adeniyi had a season- high 11 kills on 15 total attacks for a .733 hitting percentage.

UConn head coach Kris Grunwald praised Adeniyi’s efforts during the match.

“Tosin had a great match against Albany...She was much more aggressive than she had been in previous weekends,” Grunwald said. “Our passing was solid that match which allows us to get the ball to our middles more often, so as the passing goes...the middles usually go.”

During the first set against UAlbany, UConn took an eventually decisive 21-9 lead. The Great Danes were able to pull it within seven to make it 24-17 but UConn won the set 25-17 with a kill from Adeniyi.

Our passing was solid that match which allows us to get the ball to our middles more often, so as the passing goes...the middles usually go
— UConn head coach Kris Gunwald

For the second set, UConn was able to hold UAlbany to just 10 points to take a 25-10 win.

For the final set in the sweep the Great Danes meant business as there were seven different ties and four lead changes. UAlbany took at 6-2 lead right from the start. UConn kept pushing though, and won the set 25-18 to seal the deal.

Later that day the Huskies faced host Villanova (5-3), losing to them in straight sets.

The Huskies kept the first set close, with Villanova winning 25-21. The difference in the set was UConn’s attacking errors.

For the second set, the Huskies came out with an early 5-4 lead but couldn’t hold on as Villanova took at 27-19 win.  The Huskies had 11 kills but were outmatched by the Wildcats’ 17.

UConn lost the final set 25-15. Junior Kennedy Arundel had five kills in the set while junior Emma Turner had all eight of the team’s assists.

“Volleyball is a game of momentum swings,” coach Grunwald said. “There are so many factors that affect our game. That is a topic we talk about all the time. No team will ever perfect it, but we try and train and play at a level which will allow us to maintain as consistent [a] level as possible.”

The next day the Huskies fell to Princeton, in four sets.

The Huskies fought hard to win the first set 25-21. There were seven different ties during the set and five lead changes.

In the second set, the Tigers came out with a 4-1 start but UConn was able to keep it close. Freshman Ally Barrett gave UConn four straight points to keep UConn within three. Princeton pushed back though and won the set 25-22.

For the third set the score was tied early at 3-3. However, Princeton put together a 7-2 scoring run to pull ahead. After that, the Tigers led the rest of the set on their way to a 25-18 victory.

For the fourth and final set, UConn came out strong and took an early 4-2 lead. The Tigers went on a 10-1 run though from which the Huskies never recovered. Princeton won the set 25-17.

“I thought we did a solid job against Princeton, the defending Ivy League champs, while playing with people in positions they had never played before,” Grunwald said.

Next weekend the Huskies will travel to the Bradley Invitational to play UMKC, Bradley, and Grand Canyon.

Mariana Dominguez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.