Women's Soccer: Two goals, two overtimes not enough for victory

Kess Elmore was dynamic again in UConn's tie Sunday. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

For the second time in as many games, the UConn women’s soccer squad (2-3-2) went to overtime in a tightly contested game. This game however, visiting Fordham (2-2-1), UConn would only leave with a 2-2 tie after two overtime periods.

Against an inferior opponent, the Huskies largely outplayed the Rams, outshooting them 18-5 and 8-3. Still, the Rams outdrew the Huskies corner kicks five to four and committed less fouls, as UConn would earn two yellow cards in the game.

Fordham had the first chances of the game and 11:35 in UConn’s Elena Santos would receive a yellow card, her second of the week, after receiving one against Arkansas Thursday night.

The Huskies would pick up their play after that, earning a couple chances but it was a relatively eventless first half.

A familiar source would get the offense going as freshman Kess Elmore would score her fourth goal of the season five minutes into action after the break on a shot from 18 yards out—one of her five in the game. Heidi Druehl would pick up the assist.

It only took Fordham three minutes to counter; sophomore midfielder Juliana Mascelli from roughly 20 yards away on an assist by Brooke Salmon.

UConn would resume control after the lapse, peppering Fordham goalkeeper Kelly Lamorte with a couple shots before Elmore would strike again.

This time, from near point blank, 8 yards, Elmore would push her fifth of the season and second of the game past Lamorte, earning her a second multigoal game this season.

The goal came at the 62-minute mark and was assisted by freshman Melina Couzis.

They could not keep Fordham away for long, as five minutes later things were tied up again.

The Rams worked for two corner kicks and eventually freshman Milan Bornstein would score off a cross from freshman Crea Baker-Durante from about 10 yards away.

UConn would outshoot the Rams 6-1 the rest of the half but couldn’t find a go-ahead goal and in the 80th minute Vivien Biel, would receive a yellow card.

Biel and Druehl supplemented Elmore with three shots each and UConn would earn the better chances in each overtime period but nothing was enough to break through.

Well the Huskies must find some happiness in getting a result, a win appears to have been well within in their grasps on Sunday.

Now, the Huskies return home for a long stretch, beginning with a contest against Long Beach State on Thursday. The 49ers (4-2) faced Loyola Marymount on Sunday before heading to the East Coast from a trip.

Matt Barresi is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at matthew.barresi@uconn.edu.