Men’s Basketball: Ollie lands rising four-star recruit Akinjo for class of 2018

Kevin Ollie has landed another big recruit for the program, landing four star recruit James Akinjo. (File photo/The Daily Campus)

The future looks a little brighter for fans of UConn men’s basketball with the announcement that class of 2018 point guard James Akinjo has committed to the Huskies.

Akinjo made his decision following a visit to UConn’s campus this past weekend, meeting with head coach Kevin Ollie and the rest of his staff before making the verbal commitment to play in Storrs for his college basketball career.
Standing at 6 feet tall, Akinjo is currently considered the No. 113 prospect on Rivals for 2018, but his stock has risen dramatically after a fantastic summer playing for the Oakland Soldiers in the Nike EYBL. Akinjo led his team to a title at the Peach Jam tournament, one of the toughest amateur events in the nation, averaging 18.8 points, 6.8 assists, 4.3 rebounds and 1.1 steals over eight games.

The addition of Akinjo to UConn’s 2018-19 roster provides some guard depth beyond the core of Jalen Adams, Alterique Gilbert and Christian Vital and crucially adds some youth to the position after Ollie put an emphasis on forward recruitment this season.

Akinjo is, up until this point, the first member of the Huskies’ 2018 recruiting class.

Chris Hanna is the associate sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at christopher.hanna@uconn.edu. He tweets @realchrishanna.