Men’s Soccer: DaSilva makes Honor Roll, Huskies host Hofstra

Blaise N'Gague struggles for the ball against Georgetown (Courtesy/Steve Slade).

Freshman Austin DaSilva scored UConn’s only goal in a 1-1 draw with No. 18 Georgetown on Saturday night. It was the first goal of DaSilva’s career and just the second in four games for the Huskies. The freshman was recognized for his performance with a spot on the American Athletic Conference Honor Roll this week.

DaSilva has started alongside junior Abdou Mbacke Thiam at forward for the past two games as junior transfer Dayonn Harris is sidelined with a minor hamstring injury. With a significant increase in minutes, DaSilva has shown some of the potential that UConn head coach Ray Reid was beaming about earlier in the season.

“By the time he’s a junior or senior, he’s going to get 18 goals a year,” Reid said after the Huskies’ second game, a win over Quinnipiac. “He’s just what we need because he’s so much more different… this guy is gonna be special. I’m going to tell you, by the end of the season he’s gonna be special.”

DaSilva and the rest of the Huskies will take on Hofstra for a midweek match Tuesday night in Storrs. The Pride (1-2-2) is coming off a 1-1 draw against Stony Brook and a scoreless match at St. John’s.

Like UConn, Hofstra has only scored two goals this season. The Pride was shutout in road matchups with No. 6 Maryland and No. 12 Virginia after defeating Penn State 1-0 in the season-opener.

Leading the Pride is sophomore forward Luke Brown and senior midfielder Danny Elliot. Brown has one goal on the season and is coming off a Colonial Athletic Association Rookie of the Year performance last year. Elliot has a goal and an assist to his name this year. He was second on the team last season with six goals and was selected Second Team All-Colonial Athletic Association.

Weirdly enough, Tuesday’s game will mark 10 years to the day of the last time these two schools met. UConn (then No. 4) defeated Hofstra 2-0 in a 2007 match, as the Huskies took a 4-0 advantage in the all-time series with the Pride.

Additionally, the Pride and the Huskies are both averaging exactly 11.2 shots per game this season.

The similar numbers add up to a potential draw on Tuesday night in Storrs, but Reid hopes his team’s tough schedule will have them prepared for Hofstra despite the short turnaround from Saturday’s match.

“Hopefully these two games [against Notre Dame and Georgetown] have gotten us ready for Hofstra and North Florida,” Reid said.

The game will kick off at 7 p.m. in Joseph J. Morrone Stadium.

Josh Buser is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.buser@uconn.edu.