Men's Soccer: Thiam's early goal propels Huskies to 1-0 win

The Men's Soccer team won against Hofstra on Tuesday, September 12. Their next home game is Saturday against North Florida. (The Daily Campus/Charlotte Lao)

With a goal by Abdou Mbacke Thiam, the University of Connecticut men’s soccer team defeated Hofstra 1-0 Tuesday night at home.

Munir Saleh served the ball in from the right side of the field and a wide open Thiam buried a
header for his second goal of the season in the 30th minute.

“I think this is what we need now to get confidence,” Thiam said. “We all have to work to be able to kill the game earlier.”

The Huskies have found goals hard to come by this season despite outshooting opponents 54-
29.

“If we continue to play good defense the goals will come,” Reid said. “When Abdou starts to
score he gets hot. When he starts to come they come in bushes.”

Throughout the first half the Huskies created chances using their speed as they played balls in
behind the Pride’s defensive line.

Niko Petridis was played in behind by Blaise N’Gaugue in the 11th minute, but blasted his shot
over Alex Aston’s goal.

Later in the half, Dylan Greenberg got on the end of a through ball by Thiam, but Greenberg
decided to play the ball back to Thiam who lost the ball in traffic instead of taking a shot.
Hofstra had few chances in the first half with their best chance coming in the 27th minute.
Danny Elliott beat UConn’s Andrew Geres one-on- one, but despite the clean look was not able
to keep his shot on net.

In the second half, Hofstra’s Adam Savill had a shot from wide in the 58th minute that looked
dangerous off the foot, but goalkeeper Scott Levene had it covered.

In the 83th minute, Thiam had the Huskies best chance to double their lead. After leaving his
defender on the ground after a series of cuts, he blasted a shot to Aston’s near post, but the
keeper was able to keep it out.

In the end, the Huskies were able to hold on to the lead to seal their second win of the season.

“I thought coming off games against Georgetown and Notre Dame in front of 4,500 people each
it’s a perfect trap game,” Reid said. “It is a perfect trap game, but give our guys credit we got the
W.”

After losing stalwarts Jake Nerwinski and Kwame Awuah, the Huskies are relying on a very
young core of seven underclassmen.

“This team needs only one thing: Games,” Reid said.

The Huskies will return to action Saturday when they take on North Florida at home.

Antonio Salazar is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazar@uconn.edu.