Meadows boast diverse lineup, tasty food, and afterparties in the city

The Meadows Music Festival will be held starting this Friday, September 15, at Citi Field in New York City. (Courtesy/Clarion Call Media)

The second year of The Meadows Music and Arts Festival showcases a genre-spanning lineup including Jay-Z, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Gorillaz, as well as food from cultures around the world and after parties featuring performances by Wild Belle, Ghostface Killah and St. Paul & the Broken Bones.

The sister festival of Governor’s Ball, the Meadows, is one of the last festivals of the season and takes place at Citi Field in Queens, New York.

The main draw for the festival is the loaded musical lineup.

The hip-hop heavyweights are showing up. Jay-Z will certainly be performing songs from his latest “4:44” at his headlining set Friday night. Run the Jewels and Joey Bada$$ bring energy and political overtones to their live performances. Future’s had a hell of a year in 2017 after the release of “FUTURE” and “HNDRXX” in February and the success of singles “Mask Off” and “Selfish.” Migos and 21 Savage are some of the biggest artists in trap this year. Action Bronson’s release “Blue Chips 7000” is already racking up streams on Spotify, with “Let Me Breathe” nearly at three million. Old-school legends LL Cool J, Nas and De La Soul will also be performing, giving fans the opportunity to see everything hip-hop has to offer.

On the rock side, Red Hot Chili Peppers are indisputably one of the greatest. The band always plays songs both old and new, giving fans the opportunity to hears songs from all eras of the Chili’s over-30 year career on Sunday night. Indie favorite Weezer performs just a few hours before, giving alternative fans a back-to-back performance they could only dream of. Foster the People’s mid-summer release of “Sacred Hearts Club” gives them plenty of new material to pick from, along with fan favorites “Pumped Up Kicks” and “Houdini.” Sisters Tegan and Sara bring a light-hearted and energetic live performance wherever they go.

The genre-defying Gorillaz’ live performances are worth your money, with a giant screen showing the band’s animated counterpart while they play beneath it, something fans can witness as part of Saturday night’s headlining set.

EDM fans won’t be disappointed either. Bassnectar will be giving one of the last performances of the festival on Sunday night, allowing fans to dance their hearts out as one of their final acts of the weekend. Big Gigantic’s unique performance includes live saxophone and drumming, intertwining jazz, blues and dance music.

Food is another main component of the Meadows. Both the Infatuation and the FEASTival of Queens will be returning for the festival’s second year.

The Infatuation is a website that writes restaurant guides and reviews, so these guys clearly know their food. They’re curating a lineup of food vendors that includes Luke’s Lobster, Big Mozz and Ramen Burger, among many other options.

(Courtesy/Clarion Call Media)

(Courtesy/Clarion Call Media)

FEASTival of Queens, curated by Queens-based food blogger Joe DiStefano, provides festival-goers with foods of all different cultures from vendors around the city. Tortas Neza, Arepa Lady, Dumping Galaxy and Kurry Qulture are just a few of the vendors featured on FEASTival.

After parties will be taking place around the city all weekend featuring various artists from the Meadows lineup. To pregame the festival Thursday night, you can catch Antibalas at the Gramercy in Manhattan. Friday night, Ghostface Killah will performing at the Brooklyn Bowl prior to his set on Sunday evening. GTA, St. Paul & the Broken Bones and BADBADNOTGOOD will be playing different venues across NYC Saturday night. Finally to cap off the weekend, Wild Belle will be performing Sunday night at (Le) Poisson Rouge.

Check back with the Daily Campus all weekend as we bring you coverage from each day of the Meadows.

Schae Beaudoin is the life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at schae.beaudoin@uconn.edu.