Cross Country: UConn women look to continue hot start

Part of the girls cross country team practices on the track to improve their speed. Many of the athletes in cross country continue their season into track and field. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s cross country team heads to the University of Buffalo to participate in the Stampede Invitational in Buffalo, New York, aspiring for another top finish.

Only a week ago, the Huskies participated in the Minuteman Invitational at the University of Massachusetts and saw an end-to-end team victory that helped them capture first place in the meet. In only their first meet of the season, the Huskies managed to place eight runners within the top 25, including six within the top 10.

Freshman Mia Nahom led the pack with a third-place finish with a time of 17:55 and was followed closely behind by another freshman Brianna O’Brien who came in fourth place with a time of 17:57. The Huskies would clog the finish line after that as juniors Kelsey Swanson, Courtney Akerly and Haley Hasty would finish in fifth, sixth and seventh place.

The Huskies are one of nine teams making the trek to Buffalo. Aside from UConn and UB, the event will feature Western Ontario, McMaster, Binghamton, Vermont, Canisus, Le Moyne, Colgate, Daemen, and some unattached runners. There is also a men’s race being held after the women’s race, but the UConn men’s team will not be participating in the event.

The UB Stampede Invitational in Buffalo, New York is set to start at 11:00 a.m. The men’s 8K race will start the day followed by the women’s 6K race at around 11:45. All events will take place on the Audobon Golf Course.

Kenny Beardsley is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kenneth.beardsley_iii@uconn.edu.