Editorial: Spring admissions program will benefit transfer students

(Courtesy/ UConn School of Business)

UConn’s Assistant Vice President for Enrollment and Director of Admissions Nathan Fuerst just announced recently that the University will be starting a Spring Admission Program that will allow students who wish to transfer from a branch campus to the Storrs campus to do so during the spring semester after they are admitted to their regional campus instead of waiting for the fall semester of their junior year. This program is similar to one that was implemented in previous years, but its return will surely be a benefit for branch campus students.

Many of those at branch campuses are high-achieving students who simply could not be admitted to the Storrs main campus due to housing capacity restrictions. However, Fuerst and admissions officials worked with Residential Life and discovered that there are more housing vacancies in the spring semester, possibly due to some students graduating early and others studying abroad. As long as UConn can house and service the extra transfer students, the university could most certainly take advantage of this opportunity.

Not only will students be able to participate in the traditional “main campus” experience in which they can be housed in dorms instead of commuting, but they will also have a far greater selection of courses they can take at the main campus. For students of certain majors, this is particularly important because the classes they need might not be offered at branch campuses. Business and engineering students, for instance, can only start taking upper level classes at the Storrs campus. For the first two years, they are encouraged to take their general education courses, but this makes scheduling more difficult when they do transfer to Storrs campus. Transferring a semester early would help to alleviate this issue.

The program is also structured such that those who are admitted to a regional campus automatically have their applications considered for the new program, so they do not have to reapply. For students to qualify for the program, they must take 12 credits of courses and maintain a GPA of at least 3.0 during their first semester at a regional campus.

This year was the test year for the program, and of the 300 students who qualified for consideration to transfer to Storrs campus, 100 were accepted. The Storrs Spring Admission Program has proven to be a great opportunity for these students, and if it is sustained, it will likely continue to do so.