The Meadows: Saturday, day 2

Citi Field in Queens, New York hosted day two of The Meadows Music and Art Festival and it was, as the kids say, lit.

There was music for everyone, with artists like LL Cool J, Future, M.I.A. and the Gorillaz keeping everyone entertained late into Saturday night.

Multiple guest performers surprised the audience. Future brought Young Thug, Yo Gotti and Nicki Minaj on stage during his performance. Tory Lanez welcomed Busta Rhymes and LL Cool J had DMC and the Furious Five perform with him.

Along the outskirts of the venue were a myriad of booths selling food from throughout New York. Some of the vendors include Do, the Facebook-famous edible cookie dough sweet shop. Cafe Habana, a popular chain of Cuban-Mexican food owned by Cindy Crawford’s husband, Rande Gerber, is known for its grilled corn.

Aside from exotic food and beverages highlighting the best New York City has to offer, there is the “Feastival of Queens,” a ring of vendors selling popular meals and drinks from different countries. Some of the countries represented include India, Mexico, Colombia, Thailand, China and Vietnam.

Many New York street artists collaborated with The Meadows to create works that correspond with the theme and music of the meadows. These murals, statues, and structures work both in harmony as decoration for the festival, as well as useful, industrial pieces.

Some of the art pieces dispersed throughout the venue act as charging stations for devices, seats, stools and objects to stand for a clearer view of the performers.

Placed between the food venues are “lounges” and booths where companies advertise by offering promotions. While the promotions require you to download an app, take a picture or sign a waver, the companies all offer free incentives along with the requirements.

Stickers, pins and candy can be found at booths throughout the venue. At select booths, more substantial gifts can be found, such as shirts, bags or hats. American Eagle even offers free denim cuffs to be worn as a necklace or bracelet.

In store for the third and final day of The Meadows, Ghostface Killah, Nas, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foster the People and Weezer are set to perform.   

Abby Brone is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at abigail.brone@uconn.edu.