Field Hockey: No. 1 Field Hockey extends their undefeated streak with two wins

The field hockey team took on Boston University on Sunday, September 17 at 1 p.m.. The Huskies won the game 8-1 after gaining a significant lead in the first half. (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

UConn Field Hockey stayed perfect through seven games of the season with a victory Friday afternoon over their first Big East opponent, Old Dominion, and a victory Sunday against Boston University. The Huskies scored six goals in the shutout against ODU, five coming in the second half. They scored eight goals in the victory over BU, sacrificing just one and improving their record to 7-0.

The first 15 minutes of game one went scoreless until senior Charlotte Veitner connected with the back of the net, thanks to an impressive assist from Casey Umstead. ODU’s goalkeeper managed to keep the deficit at one throughout the first half, recording nine saves.

Two minutes into the second half, Amanda Collins got one through to make the score 2-0. She deflected a shot from Barbara van den Hoogen into the net for her fourth goal of the season.

Veitner would come through yet again in the 41st, scoring her team-leading eighth goal. Jessica Dembrowski recorded her first collegiate assist on the play.

The next three goals for the Huskies came in an 11 minute period. Margot van Hecking Colenbrander kicked things off with a penalty corner conversion to extend the Huskies’ lead 4-0. Svea Boker then broke away from ODU’s defense and got one past the goalkeeper. To round out the scoring, van Hecking Colenbrander would convert yet another penalty corner in the 69th. The 6-0 score went final as the Huskies took their first Big East victory and their first game on the weekend.

“[Penalty corners] at Harvard were the most important thing because all three goals came off penalty corners. It’s really the only time during the game when you get a numerical advantage,” said head coach Nancy Stevens . “It’s really an opportunity to score so it’s important to be able to score off of a penalty corner.”

Game two took place Sunday in Storrs against No. 20 Boston University. The Huskies dominated, winning 8-1 thanks to a four-goal performance from Veitner and a two-goal performance from Boker.

UConn scored first in the 11th minute. An unassisted shot into the left corner from Veitner gave the Huskies an advantage. BU retaliated almost immediately with Miya Denison hitting in a rebound off the rim.

In the 23rd, Karlie Heistand notched her first goal of the season, a shot from the top of the circle. Van den Hoogen would get the assist. Just before the end of the quarter, UConn scored three goals in a three minute timeframe. Veitner deflected a pass to score in the 30th and tapped in a rebound in the 32nd to give UConn a 4-1 advantage. Then Boker finished out the half when she took a pass in front of the net and pushed it through to the back of the net.

The Huskies went into the second half with a 5-1 lead. Boker scored within three minutes on a breakaway, the assist going to Veitner. Van den Hoogen, again with an assist from Veitner, scored from the top of the circle in the 44th minute for the 7-1 lead. In the 65th, just for good measure, Veitner knocked in her sixth goal of the weekend with an assist from Amelia Lacobucci.

“The great thing is that Charlotte can score from very difficult angles. I think a lot of goalkeepers think that they have the shot but she’s really a very gifted scorer. We need her to continue to do that, but not just in the game when we’re running away with it,” Stevens said on Veitner. “At Harvard we had no goals from the field so next Sunday we play the national champion, Deleware, at Deleware. We can’t feast on teams that don’t match up with us very well right now, we also have to be able to score from the field against the best teams.

“I’ve been a head coach for 38 years. I told them, ‘I’m gonna coach my tail off, can you keep up?’ So there’s never a fear of them becoming complacent or not training hard, that just doesn’t happen in our program. ’13 and ’14 we were national champions. ’15, ’16 and ’17 we were number one in the country so there’s never a let up,” Stevens went on to say of the team’s success. “We respect all of our opponents. Teams that don’t, lose. We ensure that we respect every opponent and work hard every practice. It’s non-negotiable.”

I told them, ‘I’m gonna coach my tail off, can you keep up?
— head coach Nancy Stephens

UConn field hockey is set for a tilt on Friday against Big East opponent Temple in Philadelphia before heading to Delaware Sunday to face the national champions.

Rachel Schaefer is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu.