Proposed budget cuts could mean major changes for UConn

The Connecticut State Legislature submitted the budget early Saturday, passing both Senate and the House. The budget includes over $300 million in cuts to UConn, including $185 million for Storrs and its regional campuses, and $124 million for UConn Health.  (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

State budget cuts to University of Connecticut funding could have “devastating” effects on the university's budget and operation, UConn president Susan Herbst said in a statement released Saturday morning.

The Connecticut State Legislature submitted the budget early Saturday, passing both Senate and the House. The budget includes over $300 million in cuts to UConn, including $185 million for Storrs and its regional campuses, and $124 million for UConn Health.

“That level of cut is unprecedented and would be devastating for UConn, higher education in Connecticut and the state as a whole,” Herbst said. “It is difficult to describe how destructive the approved budget would be.”

The cuts could mean the elimination of multiple programs, including graduate and undergraduate major programs, Division I Athletics programs, student support services such as mental health services, merit-based financial aid, as well as the closure of UConn Health, Herbst said.

26.7 percent of UConn’s revenue comes from the state, according to UConn Today. The proposed cuts would be a 22.4 percent cut to UConn’s total budget of $1.34 billion for the 2018 fiscal year.

“Cuts of that size would cripple the university and reverse its outstanding growth,” said UConn Board of Trustees chairman Larry McHugh. “I am hopeful that the governor and legislature are able to agree on a budget that protects the state's strong investments in UConn, which have helped to make it one of the best universities in the nation."

Governor Malloy has stated he plans to veto the budget

This story will be updated as there are further developments.

Marlese Lessing is the news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at marlese.lessing@uconn.edu. She tweets @marlese_lessing.