Stores close in Storrs Center

Candy in Sweet Emotions, located in Storrs Center, is a stones throw from many UConn dorms. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Both Froyo World and Sweet Emotions in Storrs Center announced this weekend that they will be closing their doors.

Froyo and Sweet Emotions declared on Facebook that they were selling out their stock over the weekend and welcomed students to visit and clear out their inventory.

Froyo World officially closed its doors for good on Sunday evening, as students lined up for 25 percent-off frozen yogurt.

“I want to cry,” Jazzy Gordon, a University of Connecticut alumna (‘16), said. “I’d come (to Froyo World) every weekend and get my fix for the week. This news is shattering.”

Froyo World has been in operation for five years, according to store manager and owner Cec Amado. The high building lease, combined with the seasonal lack of students over the summer and winter breaks, caused the store to close, Amado said.

“The taxes are too high, and the rent is too high,” Amado said. “We were basically forced out by the company that owns the Oaks.”

Amado said building owners refused to negotiate on rent rates, despite the reduced business in the summer.

“I’m not angry,” Amado said. “I feel like (the building owners) should try and work with the tenants, but they don’t care.”

Amado said the store will be replaced with a noodle restaurant. It is unknown when Sweet Emotions will close and what will replace it.

“Sweet Emotions was such a cool store,” fifth semester mechanical engineering major Miranda Sommer said. “They had Canadian candy. It had a unique charm about it.”

Marlese Lessing is the news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at marlese.lessing@uconn.edu. She tweets @marlese_lessing.