Men's Basketball: Tough schedule will test new-look Huskies

(File photo/The Daily Campus)

The UConn men’s basketball team was criticized last season for having a somewhat weak schedule. They were criticized even more when that weak schedule produced several bad losses, including two to open the season against Wagner and Northeastern. But this year, no one will be bashing the Huskies for having a weak slate. They have multiple tough tests scattered throughout the year.

After what fans hope will be a few tune-up games, UConn heads to the inaugural Phil Knight Invitational. They will open against Oregon and in the next round they will face either Michigan State or Georgetown. Considering how big the bracket is, there is a multitude of opponents they could face after that. But some of the possibilities include North Carolina, Arkansas and Oklahoma State. The PK80 is stacked with great teams and this is only the start of their tough schedule.

As they move in to December, the Huskies will face Syracuse at Madison Square Garden for the third straight season. Their former Big East rivals are always tough to beat and this should be no exception. A few weeks after this, they head into their toughest stretch of the season. From Dec. 21 to 30, UConn plays at Arizona (21st), at Auburn (23rd) and at home in their first meeting with new conference foe Wichita State (30th).

The Huskies have mostly conference games after that, but there is one tough test right in the middle of their American schedule. UConn will play Villanova at home at the XL Center on Jan. 20 in what may be the Huskies’ most difficult game of the entire season.

UConn has put together an extremely formidable schedule this season. It will be interesting to see what this team full of new faces can do against a slate of teams that is notably better than what they faced last season.

Brandon Carney is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at brandon.carney@uconn.edu.