Column: It appears no one can stop Kareem Hunt

Kansas City Chiefs running back Kareem Hunt (27) is congratulated by wide receiver Chris Conley (17) after scoring a touchdown against the Philadelphia Eagles during the second half of an NFL football game in Kansas City, Mo., Sunday, Sept. 17, 2017. (AP Photo/Ed Zurga)

Week two of the NFL season came and went, and no one has figured out how to stop Kansas City Chiefs rookie running back Kareem Hunt. 

The third round pick out of Toledo has torn up NFL defenses in his first two professional games. His introduction to the country came on a national stage in Foxboro, Massachusetts. Hunt carved up the New England Patriots for 246 total yards and three touchdowns. His Chiefs upset the Patriots 42-27.

As it turns out, Hunt is not a one-week wonder. He followed up his performance against the Patriots with a combined 109-yard performance including two touchdowns, one of them being a 53-yard touchdown run in the second half.

It seemed the Philadelphia Eagles had figured out the rookie in his second game, but Hunt exploded in the second half where he ran for the majority of his 81 rushing yards.

How good is Kareem Hunt?  Following his 78-yard touchdown reception against New England and 53-yard touchdown run against Philadelphia, Hunt has become the third ever player to have a touchdown of at least 50 yards in each of their first two games. The other two players are Alan Ameche in 1955 and Dub Jones in 1950.

Not enough to convince you how good Hunt is? Do you know the last time a player had five touchdowns in his first two career games? No, you don’t. Because it happened in 1920…for the Decatur Staleys.

Who are the Decatur Staleys? You might recognize them now as the Chicago Bears. Ed “Dutch” Sternaman scored six touchdowns in his first two games in the Staleys’ 1920 season.  Hunt is right behind him with five touchdowns through two games.

"It's just about being able to make plays," Hunt said, per Matt McMullen of the Chief's site. "You have to take advantage of those situations and not be caught from behind or anything. I'm a guy that likes to finish off runs."

Finishing off runs doesn’t seem to be too hard for Hunt. With 38 touches on the season, Hunt already has 14 missed tackles.  He’s a special player with a message to the rest of the league.

“Stop sleeping on me,” Hunt said. “That’s what I want to let everybody know.”

If Hunt keeps up performances like that, he’ll certainly gain everyone’s attention.

Connor Donahue is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering men’s ice hockey. He can be reached via email at connor.f.donahue@uconn.edu. He tweets @conn_donahue.