Melissa's Menu: Apple pie baked apples

This week’s recipe puts a creative twist on the most classic apple dish of all time: Apple pie. Instead of pie crust, it’s apple pie filling baked right into an apple with a crust on top. (Screenshot from Delish.com)

With the season of fall officially beginning later this week, it is time to fully embrace all things apple flavored. This week’s recipe puts a creative twist on the most classic apple dish of all time: Apple pie. Instead of pie crust, it’s apple pie filling baked right into an apple with a crust on top. It’s everything you want in an apple pie and more.

Ingredients:

• 3 Granny Smith apples
  • 3 Pink Lady apples
  • 1 tbsp. warm water
  • 2 tsp. cornstarch
  • 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
  • Juice from 1/2 a lemon
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon, leave extra for sprinkling
  • 1/3 c. granulated sugar, leave extra for sprinkling
  • 1 pre-made pie crust
  • 1 large egg beaten with 1 tbsp. milk (egg wash)
  • Caramel for topping

Directions:

First, preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Peel and dice one Granny Smith and one Pink Lady apple. With the remaining apples, slice off the tops and hollow them out using a melon baller. Set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together warm water and cornstarch. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add the diced apples, lemon juice, cinnamon and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook until apples are tender, which should take about five minutes. Add in the cornstarch mixture and cook for five more minutes. Place the hollowed out apples in a baking dish and fill with cooked apple mixture. On a piece of wax paper, roll out pie dough and cut into four circles. Slice each circle into thin strips. Make a lattice top on each apple, trimming any excess. Brush the crust with egg wash and sprinkle with more cinnamon and sugar. Bake about 28 to 30 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden. Drizzle with caramel and serve immediately.

If you enjoy apples this is the perfect dish for you. It creates an amazing combination of cinnamon, apple and caramel. While traditional apple pie is great, there’s something about this recipe that takes an apple pie and makes it extra special. There’s no better way to welcome fall than with these delicious treats.

Melissa Scrivani is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.