Connecticut General Assembly currently accepting Spring 2018 interns

The Connecticut General Assembly is taking interns for its Spring 2018 internship program to work with Legislators and Senators. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

The Connecticut General Assembly (CGA) is currently accepting interns for its Spring 2018 internship program.

Interns are assigned to work with individual Legislators and Senators as support staff in the four caucuses of the CGA, according to the CGA website. Their responsibilities vary from office to office but include bill tracking and analysis; policy research; drafting of news releases, speeches and/or testimony; liaison work and constituent case work, according to the website

“The Legislative Internship Program Year runs from January to May, corresponding with the spring academic semester and the Legislative Session of the Connecticut General Assembly. Interns begin in late January with a required two-day Orientation Program and serve through early May,” the website says.

Interns are required to be enrolled and matriculated in an accredited undergraduate degree program and registered to earn academic credit for participation through a course at their institution.

Per the credit arrangement, interns will also participate in the program’s academic component, comprised of training opportunities to prepare them to perform the support services of the legislator to which they are assigned.

“Along with the mandatory two-day orientation at the start of the program, interns will be offered research and IT classes, small group workshops on technical elements, and a variety of informational seminars conducted throughout the course of their internship,” the website says.

Interns will also be given assignments that include reflection papers, interviews and the completion of a three-part bill tracking project which spans the term.

Selection of interns is made by the Committee on Legislative Staff Internships. Preference is given to students whose experience and academic background relate to the work they will undertake. Some consideration is also given to the contributions applicants have made to their colleges and communities and the applicability of the internship to their future career goals.

Fifth-semester political science and human rights double major Meredith Knight-Vezina said she thought the internship program would be a valuable experience.

“Internships offer you the training and practice that cannot be learned in a classroom, and this one specifically gives you the chance to work closely with policy-makers and study how the government functions in-person, an understanding that is considered critical for political science majors,” Knight-Vezina said.

The application period opened on September 1st and ends on November 1st. Interviews will be held at the Hartford Legislative Office Building in late November/early December. Offers to participate in the program will be extended in mid-December and students have one week to accept or decline them.

Gabriella DeBenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.