Presentation for deaf and hard of hearing students will take place on Sept. 26

The event, titled “Deaf Professionals: Breaking the Sound Barrier,” will be held in the Legislative Office Building in Hartford from 6 to 8 p.m. and will feature deaf scientists, engineers, doctoral students, psychologists, mathematicians, medical providers and counselors, according to the UConn events calendar website. (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

University of Connecticut Interpreting Services and the Center for Students with Disabilities will host an event on Tuesday, Sept. 26 in Hartford to support deaf and hard of hearing students.

The event, titled “Deaf Professionals: Breaking the Sound Barrier,” will be held in the Legislative Office Building in Hartford from 6 to 8 p.m. and will feature deaf scientists, engineers, doctoral students, psychologists, mathematicians, medical providers and counselors, according to the UConn events calendar website.

The panel will start with an hour of questions and answers, moderated by UConn faculty member and Norwich Free Academy teacher Steve Simmons. The Q&A session will be followed by an hour of networking between attendees and panel members.

The website said UConn is hosting the event in part because the community of American Sign Language (ASL) users on campus has grown, as has the deaf and hard of hearing community in Connecticut.

“Deaf individuals have struggled through a history of marginalization, with limited opportunities for employment and education among countless other barriers,” the website says. “[But] we at the University of Connecticut are honored to host a vibrant community of deaf and hard of hearing students, faculty and staff.”

The website said this is a great opportunity for deaf students who are transitioning from high school to college.

“This is your chance to speak with other members of the deaf community who are willing to serve as mentors and guides,” the website says. “The collective wisdom these panel members offer is considerable. They have traveled the road you are starting down, and their message to you is [that] you can do it, your options are not limited and you have support.”

The website says all are encouraged to use the event as an opportunity to learn more about the ways deaf professionals have navigated the education and employment system.

Gabriella DeBenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.