Two DACA renewal scholarships available to eligible students

On Monday Sept. 18, students held a rally outside of the ROWE Center for Undergraduate Education to discuss DACA. (Alexis Taylor/The Daily Campus)

Eligible recipients of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program can receive scholarships to help pay for DACA renewal by the Oct. 5 deadline.

Mission Asset Fund (MAF), a California-based nonprofit focused on building a fair financial marketplace, announced on Sept. 13 that it will award $1,000,000 in scholarships to 2,000 DACA recipients to pay for DACA renewals.

"We were shocked and horrified to learn that President Trump ended DACA,” MAF CEO José Quiñonez said. “We sprang into action once we saw a small window of opportunity to help thousands of Dreamers renew their protective status. The time to help these young people is now.”

The scholarships are available to any DACA recipient with a permit expiring between now and March 5, 2018. While $500,000 of the fund is specifically for California students attending community colleges, California State Universities or the University of California, the other half are available nationwide.

Philanthropic supporters of the MAF scholarships include the Weingart Foundation, Irvine Foundation, Tipping Point Community, the Chavez Family Foundation and San Francisco Foundation.

DACA recipients with expiring permits are encouraged to apply for the MAF scholarship by going to LC4DACA.org.

Connecticut Students for a Dream (C4D), a student-led statewide network fighting for the rights of undocumented youth and their families, will also be offering DACA scholarships.

C4D is currently raising money to fund the scholarships, which will be distributed based on financial need.

“Scholarships are meant to assist those who would not be able to renew their DACA without financial assistance,” the C4D DACA renewal scholarship website says.

The C4D DACA renewal scholarship application can be found online.

Gabriella DeBenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.