Winners and Losers: Field hockey rolling, Giants flailing

The field hockey team took on Boston University on Sunday, September 17 at 1 p.m.. The Huskies won the game 8-1 after gaining a significant lead in the first half. (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

With the fall season in full swing, let’s take a look at the current winners and losers from the wide world of sports.

Winner: UConn Field Hockey

With an undefeated 7-0 start to their season, the UConn field hockey team surged to a No. 1 National ranking. They destroyed No. 20 Boston University 8-1 on Sunday, and now look towards a meeting with defending national champion Delaware this weekend.

UConn’s Charlotte Veitner has led the way with 12 goals, an average of 1.77 per game.

The Huskies have their sights set on a National Championship this season after falling in the semifinals the past two years. They won back-to-back National Championships from 2013 to 2014.

Winner: Cleveland Indians

The Tribe won a record-setting 22 consecutive games over the past three weeks, a winning streak only topped by the 1916 New York Giants’ 26 game streak. The Indians absolutely dominated teams, outscoring them by an astounding 142-37 run differential.

But it was the Indians’ pitching staff, led by AL Cy Young Award contender Corey Kluber, that made them so difficult to beat. Their starters posted a 1.77 ERA and 0.97 WHIP during the hot streak. Getting such quality starts made it easy to jump out to early leads, an obvious winning formula for any team with a decent bull pen. The Indians only needed to win in walk-off fashion once over their entire streak. The feat was not only impressive in itself, but also in how handily they took teams down.

Even when teams are hot, it is still extremely difficult to win a significant number of games in a row. But 22? That's nearly impossible in the modern era. With high amounts of parity across the sport, any team can beat another on any given day. After all, even the worst teams in the league win nearly 70 games over an entire season.

This makes Cleveland’s streak especially impressive, as they simply could not manage to lose. They are quickly becoming a World Series favorite.

Loser: UConn Men’s Soccer

The Huskies have had many bright spots this season, and outplayed teams in most matches, but have yet to find that killer instinct. They squandered an early 2-0 lead against North Florida on Saturday, forcing them to settle for a 2-2 tie. In their prior game against No. 18 Georgetown, the Huskies blew an early 1-0 lead, resulting in a 1-1 tie.

While UConn has played well lately, it is not getting wins in the games that it has in its control. Allowing a 2-0 lead to disappear on your home field can be tough to swallow. The team’s strong play will be forgotten if it cannot find a way to finish games.

The inability to close out games has left UConn with an underwhelming 2-2-2 record to begin the campaign.

Loser: New York Giants

During the offseason, Jason Pierre-Paul predicted the Giants would go 16-0 this year. Sure, it always helps to have a healthy boost of confidence at the start of a new year. But the Giants are proving that confidence is necessary yet not sufficient for success.

The Giants’ offense has floundered in its first two games of the season, scoring a measly 13 total points. This leaves them at 0-2, with losses to the rival Dallas Cowboys and the Detroit Lions.

The team knows that their season is going to be dependent on how well Eli Manning plays, and so far he has played atrociously with two interceptions and just one touchdown. He looked lost without Odell Beckham Jr. during the opener in Dallas, but did not perform much better with him on the field in Week Two. Head coach Ben McAdoo even singled out the quarterback, calling his play “sloppy” when Manning took a delay of game penalty Monday night.

Although he has struggled, Manning does not deserve all of the blame since the offensive line has left him completely exposed. He has already suffered eight sacks as a result of the offensive line’s faulty play, leaving him with minimal opportunities to produce offensively.

There is still plenty of time for the Giants to turn their season around, but if they do not overcome their offensive woes, they will fall far below their expectations for the season.

Dylan Barrett is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus.  He can be reached via email at dylan.barrett@uconn.edu.