Fantasy Football: Week 3 start/sit

Cleveland Browns quarterback DeShone Kizer (7) passes the ball during the first half of an NFL football game against the Baltimore Ravens in Baltimore, Sunday, Sept. 17, 2017. (AP Photo/Nick Wass)

Last week’s starts didn’t live up to expectations. John Brown was ruled out before the game started due to injury. Jonathan Stewart only rushed for 40 yards in the Panthers’ narrow win over the Bills in the NFL’s worst game of the season. Carson Palmer was decent, throwing for 332 yards and a touchdown but only scoring 16 fantasy points.

The sits of T.Y. Hilton and Matthew Stafford worked out, as each was very underwhelming in Week 2. Mike Gillislee scored another goal line touchdown and will continue to rely on the Patriots reaching the one-yard line for fantasy production.

On to Week 3!

Start: QB Deshone Kizer, Cleveland Browns

Kizer was in and out of last week’s game due to migraines. Back to full health, Kizer has a juicy matchup against the Colts. Although Carson Palmer didn’t have a spectacular week against Indy last week, he still threw for 300-plus yards, as did Jared Goff when he played the Colts in Week 1. Kizer scored 18 fantasy points against the Steelers in Week 1 and with the addition of his rushing yards, he’s a safe start with high upside against a shaky defense this week.

Sit: QB Trevor Siemian, Denver Broncos

Siemian has shockingly been the No. 2 quarterback in Fantasy Football this year, but don’t start him this week on the road against the Bills. Buffalo has held Cam Newton to 228 yards and no touchdowns last week and Josh McCown to 187 yards the week before. Siemian is traveling to the East coast for a 1 p.m. start time, and while I buy into his improved performances, he won’t continue them in Week 3.

Start: RB Javorius Allen, Baltimore Ravens

Javorius “Buck” Allen saw more involvement in the offense last week, playing 43 of the 68 snaps in the Ravens’ backfield. Allen turned an uptick in playing time into 14 carries for 66 yards and five receptions for 35 yards and a touchdown. This week, Baltimore takes on the Jaguars, who are solid against the pass but struggle in run defense. The Ravens’ starting running back, Terrence West, sat out of practice Wednesday due to an undisclosed injury. Allen gets plenty of targets in the passing attack, and his larger share of carries this week means he should be in your lineup.

Sit: RB Jacquizz Rodgers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Rodgers averaged just 3.5 yards per carry against the Bears last week, and he’ll find it much tougher to run on the Vikings’ defensive front. Minnesota held Le’Veon Bell to 27 carries for 87 yards in Week 2, a subpar average of 3.22 yards per carry for the league’s best running back. Rodgers will likely struggle as well, and he also has to compete with Peyton Barber, who received 10 carries and was more effective than Rodgers last week.

Start: WR DaVante Parker, Miami Dolphins

While Jarvis Landry received all the attention for his 13 receptions in Jay Cutler’s first game, Parker quietly led the team in yards. Parker’s four catches for 85 yards is a solid fantasy day and it could have been even better, as he was targeted by Cutler nine times. This week, the Dolphins take on the Jets and their porous secondary. Look for Parker to continue to build a relationship with his new quarterback and get into the end zone this week.

Sit: WR Marqise Lee, Jacksonville Jaguars

Lee played his first game as a No. 1 option for the Jaguars last week and performed well, catching seven passes for 76 yards and leading the team with 12 targets. If you picked him up off waivers, keep him on your bench this week. Lee and the Jags go up against the Ravens’ pass defense, one of the best in the league. Blake Bortles might have some trouble in this game and Lee will not be able to replicate his numbers from Week 2.

Josh Buser is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.buser@uconn.edu.