Undefeated field hockey braces for a tough weekend

Charlotte Veitner (26) attempts to score on Old Dominion during the Huskies 6-0 victory over the Big Blue on Sept. 15, 2017. (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

No. 1 UConn Field Hockey is set to play two away games this weekend. Friday’s game will be the Huskies second Big East matchup of the season against Temple (2-5). Sunday’s game will be a contentious tilt against the National Champions in Delaware.

The Huskies are coming off an impressive weekend, dealing a shutout to Old Dominion and fighting to an 8-1 win over Boston University. For the second week in a row UConn is No. 1 in the nation and they are still the only undefeated team in the NCAA. This weekend’s performance garnered Big East accolades for Charlotte Veitner and Casey Umstead, earning offensive and defensive player of the week, respectively. Margot van Hecking Colenbrander also earned a spot on the Big East Honor Roll. Additionally, Vetiner’s 15 point performance (featuring six goals) earned her national offensive player of the week.

Meanwhile, Temple is coming off a come-from-behind victory against Holy Cross Sunday. The 3-1 victory featured two goals by Rachael Mueller, who earned herself a spot on the Big East Honor Roll. Maddie Lilliock is Temple’s primary goalkeeper and is currently wielding a 62.7% save rate.

“Temple has one of the nation's best field hockey venues, so it is an absolute pleasure to play there.  We won our fifth consecutive Big East Championship at Temple last November, so we have played well on that field,” head coach Nancy Stevens said. “It will be important to resist the temptation to look ahead to the Delaware game.  Our Big East match up with Temple is the most important game for us right now.  After studying game film, we believe our match ups are good and feel confident going into the game.”

Meanwhile, Delaware is ranked at No. 5 in the nation and sitting on a 6-1 record. This past weekend they defeated No. 2 Penn State by a score of 2-0. Emmeline Oltman’s performance earned her both CAA and National defensive player of the week. Delaware is coming off national championship season, having upset UNC in the finals last year.

The Collegiate Women Sports Awards’ player of the year, Greta Nauck, is entering her junior year. She’s had seven goals on the season and a whopping 41 shots through the first seven games. She is dominating the team’s offense and is a serious threat.

“Playing the National Champion at their place is a great opportunity to face top competition,” Stevens said. “Again, we feel very confident in our match ups going into the Delaware game. Actually, both Delaware and UConn have similar strengths, so I expect it to be a hard-fought, competitive game.”

Friday’s game is scheduled for a 6 pm start time, while Sundays will begin at noon. The Huskies will return home next weekend for a Big East matchup against Providence.

Rachel Schaefer is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu.