USG discusses Mansfield Zoning Ordinances, budget at first Senate meeting

The University of Connecticut Undergraduate Senate held their first meeting Wednesday night. (File photo/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut Undergraduate Senate held their first meeting Wednesday night to discuss nominations, the proposed budget for the semester and to discuss action against the Town of Mansfield’s new ordinance banning University of Connecticut clubs from meeting off campus. The meeting was delayed until later in the evening, due to several members attending the #SaveUConn rally earlier.

The USG meeting began with the nominations of several of its new leaders and board members and ended with reports on upcoming USG events. The meeting’s goal was to cover and approve many of the outreaches and funding for upcoming events put on by the group.

The Senate meeting was closed with discussions of upcoming USG meetings, as well as plans for future “Save UConn” rallies on Friday.

One of the most important events on the agenda was the budget for the Fall 2017 semester.

“It has all of our operating expenses… and we want to make sure it is in line with our priorities,” Speaker of the Senate Nandan Tumu said.

Everything from the funding for Tier II clubs to the funding for care packages given out by USG was discusses and the budget was passed, with an overall cost of $1,039,583.50.

According to USG Comptroller and Chief Financial Officer Seeya Sodani, this budget is significantly lower than last year's budget. The decrease is due to many programs being cut, such as the Wall Street Journal program and the reduction of committee dinners.

Also discussed was the ordinance approved by the Town of Mansfield prohibiting UConn organizations from gathering off campus. USG has approved a joint resolution concerning the June 2017 updated Mansfield zoning regulations, stating that they condemn the Town of Mansfield’s Zoning ordinance.

“This hurts students, hurts organizations and hurts University of Connecticut as a whole,” Senator Andrew Rogalski said.

USG plans on sending a letter to the Town of Mansfield defending organizations and clubs’ right to meet off campus.

“Nearly 50 percent of residents within the town of Mansfield were registered students at the University of Connecticut,” the resolution stated. “[We must] passionately defend their rightful stake at the university.”

USG’s biggest issue with this ordinance was the fact that students were not there to approve it when it was passed and it gives the town power over UConn organizations. They plan to write a letter, signed by many student organizations, and send it to the Town of Mansfield to voice their complaints.

Molly Desrochers is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at molly.desrochers@uconn.edu.