Artist Spotlight: Lorde makes a comeback

Lorde performs on September 28, 2013 at Showbox at the Market during the Decibel Festival in Seattle, Washington ((Kirk Stauffer/Wikimedia Creative Commons)

The 20-year-old New Zealand singer-songwriter Lorde has completely broken out of her silence following the release of her second studio album “Melodrama” on June 16 of this year. After her performance of “Homemade Dynamite,” a song off its tracklist, at the Aug. 27 VMAs, and the announcement of who would be featured on its remix via Twitter, attention toward her skyrocketed. Khalid, Post Malone and SZA worked on a surprise remix with Lorde, which was released eight days ago and has excited their variety of fans. The decision to collaborate with these hot new artists made a statement for Lorde, allowing her to gracefully step back into the spotlight as though she never left.

“Melodrama,” like her debut album “Pure Heroine,” includes no features. Without anyone else’s voice, she was able to climb to the top and earn her first #1 album on Billboard charts within the first week of its release. Within that week, the album sold over 109,000 units.

During the three year gap between album releases, Lorde made power moves in the industry. One of the most impressive was her opportunity to contribute to and compile the entire “Hunger Games” soundtrack released in October 2014. She was able to hand-pick who was featured on it and chose artists like Tove Lo, Tinashe and Chvrches to participate in the project alongside her. Through this experience she gained attention, built connections with producers and artists and perfected her craft.

Her other side projects are comprised only of features on songs by different artists, like the British electronic group Disclosure and charity music group #KiwisCureBatten. Disclosure was able to catch hold of her for “Magnets” back in September 2015, one song off of their full-length album “Caracal.” Lorde performed this song with them on “Saturday Night Live” in December of that year, which was one of her few appearances performing live. On the song “Team Ball Player Thing” by #KiwisCureBatten, she joined them to raise money and awareness for Batten disease, a very rare and fatal disease ailing children.

Lorde has undoubtedly come far from the start of all her fame which stemmed from the release of her EP “The Love Club” via Soundcloud at the young age of 16 back in 2012. The high-volume response to the EP led to her record company Universal Music Group releasing it for sale. As soon as that happened, the song “Royals” that many know her by became so popular, it dominated the mainstream charts internationally and created the platform that she continues to build on today. Her efforts toward philanthropy and stepping out of her comfort zone to collaborate with artists outside of her own genre show her well-roundedness, which continues to earn her a title as one of the most talented and inspiring young artists to hit the charts.

Gabrielle Ferrell is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at gabrielle.ferrell@uconn.edu.