Fuller House: Season three review

Fuller House released their third season and the release date of the second part of the season has yet to be announced by Netflix.  (Screenshot/Netflix)

Recently, television reboots haven’t exactly been made to last, and with its lack of original storylines and plot, it comes as a surprise that Netflix’s “Fuller House” is on its third season.

The first two seasons were disappointing, to say the least. The first relied heavily on guest appearances of the original cast and tired catchphrases. The second revolved around very specific holidays and felt limited. This third season is better in that it focuses just on the summer season (despite being released nearly in Oct.), creating more opportunities for unique episodes.

It opens with a rather cringe-worthy musical number and picks up right where the last season left off as far as relationships and family-friendly humor. Viewers see early on that the main drama of the season will be, again, the love triangle between D.J. Fuller (Candace Cameron-Bure), Matt (John Brotherton) and Steve (Scott Weinger). The episodes released on Netflix on Sept. 22 only comprise the first half of the third season and ends on a pretty predictable cliff-hanger as far as this arc goes.

Again, this season handles the inclusion of the original cast and characters much better, with one member returning per episode, ultimately leading up to a family reunion in the second half of the season. The use of catchphrases has also gotten better, as they are used much more sparingly.

The show’s ability to make fun of itself and break the fourth wall remains one of its strongest suits among some of the childish humor.

Some minor details that still confuse me as a viewer include: where did Kimmy Gibbler (Andrea Barber)’s brother come from? Jimmy Gibbler (Adam Hagenbuch) was literally nonexistent throughout the entire original series. Also, Fernando (Juan Pablo Di Pace) and Kimmy’s relationship still remains a mystery to me. Are they together or not? Why, when he surprised her with buying her childhood home, did she force him to move in with her brother so she could maintain her standing in the “she-wolf pack.” Kimmy’s daughter, Ramona (Felicity Ruth Rytky) holds a fairly irrelevant role in the show. In seemingly every episode, she is demoted to merely a babysitter for the youngest Fuller boy with just a few quippy lines, except for one rather bizarre episode in the season that focused on Ramona concealing a hickey from her mother. Keep in mind, the daughter is supposed to be middle-school aged.

Also to be noted about this season is the shameless advertisements and brand-sponsoring, including promoting for Fiji Water, Baskin Robbins, Oreos and even Arby’s.

The show does hit on some serious notes, like Stephanie’s infertility, single-parenting and divorce amidst all the lighthearted humor. While it is a family-friendly show about the next generation, it does still focus mainly on the relationships between the adults. Fuller House is one of the best television reboots in terms of keeping both new and old fans interested and is exactly what intends to be: a heartwarming and slightly cheesy sitcom for the whole family.

The release date of the second part of the third season has yet to be announced by Netflix.

Julia Mancini is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at Julia.mancini@uconn.edu.