Weekly Playlist: Russ, CHVRCHES, and more

Joey Bada$$ performing at Botanique Bruxelles. (Kmeron/Flickr Creative Commons)

Rapsody – “Power” (feat. Kendrick Lamar & Lance Skiiwalker)

SZA’s gaining recognition and increased album sales with “Ctrl,” and Cardi B’s “Bodak Yellow” at number 2 on the Billboard Top 100, present good things for women in hip hop. On Friday, however, Rapsody had to go and one-up everyone with her latest album “Laila’s Wisdom.” Because of its dense lyricism and complex subject matter, this album will probably not gain the same attention as SZA and Cardi B, and that is truly a shame. To just say that Rhapsody is one of the best female rappers currently working would ignore her power as one of the best rappers—period. Her opening two verses weave in and out of the 9th Wonder beat and discuss her power over sex and hip hop. In addition, we get another Kendrick Lamar feature that is out of this world. The Kendrick feature is a blessing and a curse because on one hand it is almost always has a great verse but it can also upstage the headliner of the song (see “Collard Greens”). It is impressive that Rapsody can hold her own with the Compton MC, but it is not surprising considering she shined brightly on Kendrick’s 2015 album “To Pimp a Butterfly.” This song is fantastic and with its dense wordplay and lyricism, has infinite replay value.

Russ – “Wife You Up”

This song is easy listening. If “Wife You Up” came out during a cloudy, 50-degree weather weekend, things might have ended up very differently. I would have probably been turned off by such a sweet melody, because nobody can be so bubbly when the weather is bad. Thankfully, it came out before a fantastic weekend and we can enjoy it in all its sunny glory.

CHVRCHES – “Call it Off”

I have about 94 percent of my belongings on the CHVRCHES bandwagon. It was 100 percent after 2013’s “The Bones of What You Believe” but has since decreased to 94 percent because of the less-than-perfect follow-up “Every Eye Open.” I am currently packing a suitcase of more things to bring on the bandwagon after “Call it Off,” which is a cover of a Tegan and Sara song from 2007. The only word I would use to describe “Call it Off” is cinematic. The song sounds like the end of a “House,” “Lost,” or “Grey’s Anatomy” episode when a montage of emotional scenes is set to even more emotional music. It is disappointing that this song is not attached to an upcoming album, but fear not, CHVRCHES began work on their third album earlier this year.

Curls – “Emotion”

The drumroll that begins around the 15 second mark of the song is something to behold. It starts off-beat, then swirls around for about five seconds before kicking off a great little indie-rock song. I imagine the band being very thrown off the first time the drummer did this, then agreeing that his action is awesome and should be included in the song.

Baths – “Yeoman”

The electronic patterns of L.A.-native Baths will tie your brain in knots. The layering of his music is extremely complicated and he finds small nuances in unexpected places. He combines this complex instrumentation with a stirring vocal performance and the result is great. Baths’ upcoming album is expected for a Nov. 17 release. Side note: Pronouncing Baths’ is an absolute horror show, I pity anyone reading this to someone else.

Wu-Tang – “Lesson Learn’d” (feat. Inspektah Deck & Redman)

Wu-Tang’s single from a few weeks ago, “People Say,” was released under the name “Wu-Tang Clan” on Apple Music. This song here was released under the name “Wu-Tang,” so their most recent releases are on two different pages on the streaming service. So Apple Music users beware, because Spotify does not have this problem. This is a great song, but I was flabbergasted by such a simple mistake being made by a very wealthy group of people who could definitely pay to hire competent people to release their music for them.  

Hundred Waters – “Parade”

The singles for Friday’s Hundred Waters album “Communicating” have been featured on previous roundups, so I will be brief. This ballad stood out from the non-single songs on the album. “Parade” is a tear-jerker with a heavy piano interlude that brings singer Nicole Miglis to the forefront. Because of her talent, I judge Hundred Waters’ songs on their ability to showcase Miglis’ vocals—“Parade” exceeds this criteria with flying colors.

Rapsody – “Nobody” (feat. Anderson .Paak, Black Thought & Moonchild)

This song is a doozy. A 7 minute, feature-filled, three-part lyrical extravaganza. Anderson .Paak hooks are like melted butter. With Paak’s heavy presence on this album, I can only hope he is in album mode and that this will preview an upcoming project.

Moses Sumney – “Don’t Bother Calling”

Moses Sumney described his latest album “Afromanticism” as, “a concept album about lovelessness as a sonic dreamscape.” Enjoy.

Here are some songs you may have missed over the summer:

Joey Bada$$ - “500 Benz”

J.I.D – “Hasta Luego”

Nilüfer Yanya – “Golden Cage”

Teddy Craven is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at edward.craven_jr@uconn.edu.