Melissa's Menus: Pumpkin cheesecake bites

It's officially fall, which means it's once again the time of pumpkin-flavored everything. This week on Melissa's Menu: Pumpkin cheesecake bites. (Photo courtesy of Delish.com)

It’s officially fall, which means it is once again the time of pumpkin-flavored everything. I, for one, am completely here for it. Pumpkin is honestly one of my all-time favorite flavors. There are so many different directions you can take it and somehow every kind of dessert you can think of tastes delicious with pumpkin flavor. There is so much more potential for pumpkin beyond lattes and pie. This week’s recipe, pumpkin cheesecake bites, explores a different and slightly more unconventional way to mix pumpkin and dessert.

Ingredients:

• 3/4 c. crushed ginger snaps, divided
  • 3/4 c. crushed graham crackers, divided
  • 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 2 1/2 c. melted white chocolate, divided
  • 1/2 c. pumpkin puree
  • 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • pinch of kosher salt
  • 1 tbsp. coconut oil

Directions:

First, line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a small bowl, mix together ginger snaps and graham cracker crumbs. Set aside. In a separate bowl, beat cream cheese with a hand mixer until light and fluffy. Add half a cup of white chocolate, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice and salt then mix until incorporated. Add in the cookie crumbs and stir until well mixed. Next, scoop the mixture into tablespoon-sized balls, place onto the lined baking sheet and freeze until solid, which should take about 30 minutes. Melt the remaining two cups of white chocolate in a bowl with coconut oil and then dunk the cheesecake truffles until they are evenly coated. Place them back on the baking sheet, and lightly sprinkle them with the remaining cookie crumbs. Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes before serving.

This recipe is delicious and super easy to make. Since there is no oven or baking time required, almost anyone could make these and a kitchen isn’t even required. Pumpkin and cheesecake create such a perfect flavor combination, so these are absolutely irresistible. They’re sweet, light and since they’re small you can eat as many or as little as you’d like. There is no better way to embrace fall than by eating as many pumpkin flavored treats as possible. This is a great recipe to start with because it’s slightly different from the traditional pumpkin foods we’re used to. Whether you are making them for guests or just for your own snack, these are sure to be a hit.

Melissa Scrivani is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.