Walk the Moon’s new single ‘One Foot’ an introspective track on tenacity and optimism

The Nicholas Petricca of the band Walk the Moon performs at the Rock in Rio music festival in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Sunday, Sept. 17, 2017. (AP Photo/Leo Correa)

Since their 2014 hit, “Shut Up and Dance,” the indie pop band Walk the Moon has become an international sensation. Inspired by The Police and The Killers, Walk the Moon founder and vocalist Nicholas Petricca aims to create music that can “constantly redefine [those bands].”  Placed at number four on the Billboard Hot 100 in the United States, “Shut Up and Dance” became the trampoline that launched them into stardom.

As their musical repertoire increased, so did their popularity in the United States and throughout the world. Topping charts in the UK, Poland and Canada, Walk the Moon stepped into the spotlight with their 2014 album “Talking is Hard.” Despite this success in 2014, their road to fame originally began in 2012 with the production of their self-titled album, which included hits “Anna Sun” and “Tightrope.” While their previous albums came out in a two-year succession, the public couldn’t help but question: Why the sudden break? This ambiguity became understood once it was disclosed that Petricca’s father had passed away from Alzheimer’s. At the same time, Petricca began to undergo a reevaluation of his spirituality and sexuality and began to redefine the band once again. These revelations, events and their break overall were the exact inspirations for their very introspective new single, “One Foot.”

Although their 2017 album has yet to be released, “One Foot” has been released and stands alone as an anthem for hope and determination for the group. This song has been their most raw and personal piece composed yet. “We had some really beautiful and intense life experiences,” Petricca said in an interview with Billboard Music. “We needed to take the time to do those experiences justice and put them into this music we have been working so hard on.” These experiences are things that Petricca and his fellow group members left in the past; moving on and looking toward the future.

“We’ve never felt more true to ourselves than we do right now releasing this song and this upcoming record,” they stated in an interview with iHeart Radio. “‘One Foot’ is the soundtrack of our journey this past year, moving forward even when the path is uncertain.”

This idea of perseverance and optimism is something Petricca hopes listeners can hear, appreciate and connect to. The band has been able to put “One foot in front of the other,” and make themselves vulnerable to their fans. ‘One Foot’ is a reflection of their past and how they have redefined themselves and their future. Introspection is the band’s main goal for their new album. Their music is their voice; their vessel for communication for how they not only found who they are, but how they have changed.

With their previous success with ‘Shut Up and Dance’ behind them, the band, “Can start over again, and be a new band, a new artist,” they commented in an interview with ABC News Radio.

“We’re constantly redefining ourselves.”

Their experiences and their vulnerabilities allow us, as listeners, to connect to them as musicians. They have become stronger because of what they have been through and that support for perseverance and optimism is the exact drive for their new inspirational album and introspective track, “One Foot.”

Mark Wezenski is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at mark.wezenski@uconn.edu.