Jim Calhoun Is Back: Former Husky coach takes over St. Joseph

Former UConn men's basketball coach Jim Calhoun has come out of retirement to coach St. Joseph's men's basketball. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

Former UConn men’s basketball coach Jim Calhoun has come out of retirement to get back in the coaching spotlight. Well, sort of.

Calhoun, 75, has decided to take the reins of the Division III University of St. Joseph men’s basketball program, which will begin in 2018-19 as the school begins to accept male students, once the process of becoming a co-educational school comes into effect.

A Hall-of-Famer who coached the Huskies from 1986 until his initial retirement in 2012, Calhoun won three national championships in 1999, 2004 and 2011, respectively. Calhoun’s Huskies also reached the Final Four in 2009. Calhoun led UConn to seven Big East Tournament championships and 10 regular season conference championships as he turned the program in Storrs into a national powerhouse.

Calhoun currently works in an advisory role for UConn as Special Assistant to the Athletic Director, and will look to maintain his relationship and position with the university.

"My heart will always be with UConn," Calhoun said, per ESPN. "I'll still be there helping out as much as I can."
For now, though, Calhoun will be on the recruiting trail for the next year, looking to build St. Joseph from the ground up until the team starts playing actual games in 2018.

Chris Hanna is the associate sports editor  for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at christopher.hanna@uconn.edu. He tweets @realchrishanna.