Roundtable: Biggest upset in NFL Week 3

Miami Dolphins' Alterraun Verner (42) chases New York Jets' Robby Anderson (11) as Anderson runs for a touchdown during the first half of an NFL football game Sunday, Sept. 24, 2017, in East Rutherford, N.J. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

While protests were the story of NFL week three before the games, the story after the games was about all the upsets that took place. Among others, the Chicago Bears took down the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Buffalo Bills beat the Denver Broncos and the lowly New York Jets nearly shutout the Miami Dolphins for their first win of the season. The DC Sports staff debates which upset was the headline of week three in this edition of the Roundtable.

Jorge Eckardt: Campus Correspondent

For me, the biggest upset of this past week was easily the Jacksonville Jaguars prevailing over the then-undefeated Baltimore Ravens in London. Going into the game, the Ravens had only given up a total of 10 points on the season. On Sunday, however, they gave up 44 points to none other than a Blake Bortles-led offense. While the Jaguars’ defense was stellar in week one, they gave up 37 points in week two, leaving some to question which defense was going to show up for the game. The dominant defense that was on display week one held a Ravens offense that had put up 20 and 24 points in their first two contests to only seven points in its third. Blake Bortles proved that he is truly “Mr. London.”

Matt Severino: Campus Correspondent

The biggest upset this week was the Chicago Bears defeating the Pittsburgh Steelers.  Pregame controversy concerning the Steelers remaining in the locker room during the national anthem made headlines, while the game itself did not. Chicago entered Sunday winless after dropping their season opener to Atlanta in heartbreaking fashion, and then getting thrashed by a Tampa Bay team that had its season postponed due to Hurricane Irma.  

This year, the Bears had low expectations while the Steelers are thought to be Super Bowl contenders.  Playing with nothing to lose, Chicago led by two possessions at halftime, but slowly let it slip away, not scoring in the second half. Pittsburgh would kick the game tying field goal midway through the fourth quarter, sending the game to overtime. What made this contest even more surprising was the Bears’ ability to rebound and win the game in overtime, thanks to one of Jordan Howard’s three touchdowns on the day.

Andrew Morrison: Staff Writer

Through the first two weeks of the season, Oakland’s Derek Carr looked like a bona fide MVP candidate, throwing for 500 yards with five touchdowns and no interceptions for a stellar 126.5 quarterback rating. In doing so, he led the Raiders to convincing wins over the talented Titans and not-so-talented Jets. Most expected more of the same on Sunday in the Raiders’ primetime tilt against the Redskins.

Buffalo Bills running back LeSean McCoy, top, leaves out of a tackle from Denver Broncos inside linebacker Zaire Anderson (50) during the second half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Sept. 24, 2017, in Orchard Park, N.Y. (AP Photo/Jeffrey T. Barnes)

Instead, Carr threw two interceptions in the first half and finished with a total of 118 yards passing, while Kirk Cousins looked like the MVP candidate. Washington never trailed, soundly dominating end-to-end for a 27-10 victory. The game showed a few things: the Redskins are a lot better than we thought, and running back Chris Thompson is really good in open space. Also, Carr struggles mightily when under duress—and when he does, the Raiders are nothing more than a mediocre team.

Kevin Arnold: Campus Correspondent

From week three, the biggest upset to me was the Bills over the Broncos. The Bills were coming off of a downright awful performance against the Panthers, in which they were held to just three points, while the Broncos looked like a real playoff contender after holding Zeke Elliott and the Cowboys offense to just eight rushing yards and 17 points. The Bills played like they had something to prove to the league as they won 26-16, holding Trevor Siemian to just 259 yards and no touchdowns. Tyrod Taylor, on the other hand, completed 20 of 26 passes for just 213 yards, but two touchdowns. The Bills may play in what many consider to be the weakest division in football, but they were out to prove that they’re not the weak link in week three.