New Journalism Society to ‘Shape ethically aware journalists’

The UConn Journalism Society meets every Wednesday from 6-7:30 p.m. in ITE room 127. All members are welcome to attend, Moni said. (Flickr/Creative Commons)

Members from various University of Connecticut student media organizations recently formed a new society of journalism for students interested in the field.

The UConn Journalism Society, founded by Tama Moni, a junior journalism and human rights major, stated that the mission of the organization is to “shape ethically aware journalists through workshops, mentoring and networking events.”

Moni said the idea for the club came to her in the fall semester of her sophomore year.

“I felt that while we do have classrooms that teach journalism, and students may be able to go into WHUS Radio, The Daily Campus and other writing or broadcasting organizations, I felt like something was still missing,” Moni said. “I figured: why not create an organization where students can feel comfortable and follow their passions?”

Now that the organization is up and running, there are already plans for events and speakers in the works. Moni presented several ideas for future plans at a meeting on Wednesday.

One idea for this semester is a trip to the Oakdale Theater in Wallingford, Conn. to attend “An Intimate Evening with Anderson Cooper and Andy Cohen.” Another activity being worked on is bringing in political writers from the Hartford Courant to speak about their jobs and answer questions about their work.

While nothing is set in stone, Moni and other executive board members have expressed that they are open to ideas from their members. From there, they determine who to contact to make worthwhile speakers and events possible.

Although this is the organization’s first semester on campus, they have other goals as well.

“At least for this semester, we want to retain our student membership and really inspire students to want to come back to each meeting,” Moni said.

One of these students is fifth semester journalism major Ryan Kim.

“I’m interested in just being a member and trying to meet some new people, like the incoming freshman and sophomores,” Kim said. “I want to build on the friendships I already have with people that are journalism majors.”

Kim said this year is geared towards career building for him, which he thinks this club can aid him with.

“Extending that network of people that are interested in journalism and journalism majors will hopefully help me find more of what I’m interested in,” Kim explains.

The UConn Journalism Society meets every Wednesday from 6-7:30 p.m. in ITE room 127. All members are welcome to attend, Moni said.

John Lavenburg is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at john.lavenburg@uconn.edu.