The Killers’ new album “Wonderful Wonderful” a melting pot of nostalgia and revival

This cover image released by Island shows "Wonderful Wonderful," the latest release by "The Killers." (Island/AP)

After five years of no new music and sparse touring here and there, Nevada-based rock band The Killers have returned with the release of their newest album “Wonderful Wonderful” on Sept. 22.

Starting back in May, the band gradually returned on social media to introduce a handful of new singles released throughout the summer. “The Man” was the first single released off the new album.  This song has an electronic/disco sound that made eager fans apprehensive on the direction of the potentially new sound that the band was going to bring to the table.  Despite this, it charted as the band’s first No. 1 single since the release of “Read My Mind” in 2007, according to Billboard.com.

In an interview with Rolling Stone, lead singer Brandon Flowers said “Wonderful Wonderful” is “a snapshot – a true representation of where we're at.”  This snapshot is achieved both musically and lyrically. The album fuses together the “classic” identity of The Killers while also bringing new sounds to the table, representative of the album’s theme of growing up through both past and present.

“Rut,” the album’s fourth track, experiments with electronics more than the band has ever done. The song opens with female vocals singing the chorus of the song with a high level of auto-tune and chords played on a synth backing her up. At the end of the intro, the song develops into something that bears heavy Phil Collins influence with the fusion of soft rock sounds heard predominantly from their “Battleborn” album.

“Run For Cover” was the second single released off the album, and it is without a doubt one of the stronger tracks on the record. Lyrically and musically, the song is incredibly catchy and could make anyone want to dance.  The song is dominated by a driving electric bass and drum beat joined by synths at the exciting chorus of Flowers telling us to move forward and “run for cover,” and to never look back on the past.

The seventh track, “Some Kind of Love,” is one of the few slower songs on the album, but carries a message more important than any other track.  “Some Kind of Love” is unique in that Flowers is, for the first time, openly sharing his personal life with the world.  The song is about what it’s like to be the father of three young boys while also acting as a primary support system for his wife, who is battling PTSD.  

In an interview with Rolling Stone about this particular song, Flowers said his wife Tana was typically the person who would give the “okay” as to whether a song should make it to the record. When singing this song to Tana, “‘Some Kind of Love,’ in particular, struck a chord with her,” Flowers said.  “The end of the song is me and my boys singing, 'I can't do this alone/We need you at home/There's so much to see/And we know that you're strong.' I played that for her, and she just sobbed. But I'm proud of that one.”

Although this album doesn’t return with the “teenage angst” identity of The Killers from earlier tracks like “Somebody Told Me” or “Mr. Brightside,” this album celebrates both the accomplishments and the hardships of Flowers’ life and really hits home with fans with its depth of personal messages within the lyrics of each song.

“Wonderful Wonderful” was the perfect end to a long wait for devoted Killers fans like myself. The only criticism that could be made after finishing the album is that it isn’t long enough. Perhaps it is the bias of them being my favorite band, but The Killers have returned with an album that reminds us of their vibrant musical identity and collection of new, exciting music that will keep us going with the approach of dreaded midterms.

Lucille Littlefield is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lucille.littlefield@uconn.edu.