Men's Basketball: Huskies land late recruit in St. John's transfer Sid Wilson

Photo courtesy of @Iam_SidWilson on Twitter

The UConn men’s basketball team landed a top-100 recruit in 6-foot-7 wing Sidney Wilson Friday afternoon after the freshman quickly decided to transfer after a few short weeks at St. John’s.

Originally from New York City, Wilson wanted to remain close to home for school after the death of his mother in 2015. However, he realized that remaining at St. John’s was not in his best interest, and re-opened his recruitment as a transfer student. The only other school that had offered him a scholarship and had a spot open was UConn, so head coach Kevin Ollie pounced on the opportunity to bring Wilson to Storrs.

Wilson was originally in the high school class of 2018, but reclassified to 2017 after averaging 17 points and six rebounds per game at Brewster Academy in New Hampshire. A four-star recruit who can do all the little things and brings intangibles to his team, according to his father, Wilson may be allowed to play right away despite a transfer of schools if his appeal to the NCAA grants him a waiver.

If Wilson is not given a waiver allowing him to play this season, he will only be allowed to practice and learn from those ahead of him, including the likes of Terry Larrier and junior college transfer Kwinton Williams, among others. Perhaps a year sitting out would also be beneficial for Wilson as he could be the foundation of the Huskies’ rebuild over the next few seasons.

Wilson is expected to be enrolled at UConn for this coming Tuesday, following Labor Day, and will begin classes and practice immediately.

Chris Hanna is the associate sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at christopher.hanna@uconn.edu. He tweets @realchrishanna.